Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Default Re: Scoops

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I'll take two scoops please.
    I'm also a fan of those types of art.
    You're referring to my ice cream scoop first, and the Retro, distressed stuff second, right?

I get confused when I'm up after my bed time.

Thanks, Keith!

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Hi and thanks, Larry.

Off the top of my head is dandruff.

Sorry.

Off the top of my head, there are at least two different ways to approach designing "vintage stuff."

1. Choose an appropriate image and then filter the daylights out of it. Ron Duke, you did a beautiful piece of art a while ago that you filtered to add noise and you drew some wrinkles and fractures on the surface of it, didn't you? Can you post a link for Larry on this thread?

This is an animation of an appropriately vintage scene (?) that was messed up in After Effects with special filters:

Alien Skin's Exposure plug-in also does a great job of adding authentic film grain, colour casting, and contrast to work. Half-toning adds a sense of Retro to work, too.

On the other hand, you can achieve a sense of Retro or Vintage simply by choosing your colors, fonts, and composition (and subject) from a popular period in published works.

Attachment 111704

It takes a lot of time to research and put all the elements together, but I think it's worth it. Everything old is new again!

This is certainly a larger answer than your question, but does it lead you in an encouraging direction? I hope so, because your work is terrific!

My Best,

Gary
    I think Larry along with others remembers helping me with this:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/attachme...4&d=1440374691

Obviously, Gare is highly skilled, a pro at this, and has a real feel for the nostalgic!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

That's just awesome.

Default Rickenbacker guitar in red and blonde

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    That's just awesome.
    Thank you, Graham!

More often than not, a need a small area retouched in a photo, and Photoshop cannot zoom into an area this small, or for other reasons I choose Xara as my retouching program. And I've never been disappointed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RickRetouching.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	111730

My Best,

Gary

P.S. I have R.I.C.'s corporate blessing to publish this and other works featuring their equipment.

Default Puffy art

I'm showing this because I've been praising Creature House Expression over on my non-Xara art thread (my Xara non-Art thread?), and want to show that Xara can be used to more or less achieve the same "puffy" fills through careful use of the Bevel tool. The frame is an example of version 11's new brush strokes, and the ability to design your own stroke. The border is just a series of the same typographic glyph.

Name:	cameo.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	111761

My Best,

Name:  g cubist tiny.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  4.0 KB
    Last edited by Gare; 10 February 2016 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: Puffy art

I like it Gare. especially showing how we can use our beloved program to produce similar results to E3. I like to see how the new brushes are used by different people. Frances has done some great stuff with them too, which I do not understand at all. Anyway it would be awesome to have a thread devoted to using the new brushes ad how different people use the to create their effects.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I like it Gare. especially showing how we can use our beloved program to produce similar results to E3. I like to see how the new brushes are used by different people. Frances has done some great stuff with them too, which I do not understand at all. Anyway it would be awesome to have a thread devoted to using the new brushes ad how different people use the to create their effects.
    I'll see that quote, Larry, and raise you one. :)

How about if designers explain what is good for what? Like, "the new brushes are good for pattern work, and also for distressing an image"?

I have always maintained that it's not the wand, but the magician who makes the magic.

Let's see people explain how it's done, what was done, with what, and why.

Sort of like the 5 Ws in journalism. :)

Name:  reallySmallG.jpg

I totally agree Gare!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Iit's not the wand, but the magician who makes the magic.
    Name:  reallySmallG.jpg
    Very true Gare. All magic these days at least is nothing more than a bag of tricks and plenty of practice to fool people and make it look like something happened that really didn't.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Art Deco G

It's another "G", perhaps my 40th drawing ever since I discovered my first name begins with a "G"; Barbara broke the news to me in January.

Anyhow, I extruded some pieces, and then traced over and hand-shaded the drawing. The colors are from the "Vegetable" Era of interior design in the mid-1970s, and the blue background shapes I created and rendered in Groboto, and then traced the shapes off.

Name:	Xara-G.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	112002

My Best,

Name:  Gary.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  4.2 KB