Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Shape to vortex

Default Shape to vortex

Hello,

I'm trying to get this shape (left picture) to a vortex form (right picture)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-25 at 19.38.45.png 
Views:	231 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	101732 -> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 14.02.20.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	101733

As you can see in the following picture, the pattern that I made fits perfectly in every direction.
    Making it some sort of "optical illusion".

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 14.05.08.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	101734

But getting it to spiral around in this vortex has been a real pain
    I have been trying a few different methods, but none worked so far.
    The main problem is that, when rotating and scaling the pattern, they just don't fit anymore..
    So I was wondering if there is an easy way to get this effect, or do i have to manually rotate, scale and adjust anchor points for them to perfectly fit in each other?

Kind regards,
    Spankaroonie
    IP

Default Re: Shape to vortex

Need to get thinking cap on for this as the bitmap is highly complex. Why not try making a brush out of your shape and then use spiral tool but it is still highly complex. Maybe use the pattern maker if you have CS6 or if you haven't then layout a full flat area and then use Warp effects like twirl. Sorry that's all that I can think of without spending along time at it.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Need to get thinking cap on for this as the bitmap is highly complex. Why not try making a brush out of your shape and then use spiral tool but it is still highly complex. Maybe use the pattern maker if you have CS6 or if you haven't then layout a full flat area and then use Warp effects like twirl. Sorry that's all that I can think of without spending along time at it.
    I have tried making it into a brush and using the spiral, but it doesn't do the job. As you said, it is quite complex..
    I've also tried copy-rotating it every few degrees and fooled around with the scaling a bit, but again.. no success.

What you said about laying out a full flat area and using the warp effects actually gave me the best result yet.
    The vortex starts to show a little, with all the shapes scaled and rotated correctly while still fitting together.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 14.56.22.png 
Views:	459 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	101735

It's still not quite what i'm looking for though.. And if I try to double the bend of the warp effect (since 100% doesn't give me enough of a twist),
    it gets too distorted (picture below)

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 14.59.32.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	101736

So yea.. best result so far, but still not exactly the result i'm looking for.
    (and thanks for the quick reply!)
    IP

looks like there is some perspective distortion too - fisheye maybe....
    IP

I am trying to draw your box shapes at the moment which I have done and made a pattern. Now trying to use the Warp tools I have done about 1 1/2 hrs and it's not good enough to show and I may need to change the perspective to resolve the problems. Do you have a CAD programme that you can the shape blocks in 2pt perspective and that when exported could bring it back into Illy? This is the way I am doing it and it is working better than your examples but using Illy's perspective grid is a pain and is slow to get the right perspective. What I am saying is that I should be doing my own work and can't spend anymore time on it, I am sorry to say.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    looks like there is some perspective distortion too - fisheye maybe....
    I've tried it, but it's still not doing the trick. Combining some warp effects seem to give a few better results though..

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    I am trying to draw your box shapes at the moment which I have done and made a pattern. Now trying to use the Warp tools I have done about 1 1/2 hrs and it's not good enough to show and I may need to change the perspective to resolve the problems. Do you have a CAD programme that you can the shape blocks in 2pt perspective and that when exported could bring it back into Illy? This is the way I am doing it and it is working better than your examples but using Illy's perspective grid is a pain and is slow to get the right perspective. What I am saying is that I should be doing my own work and can't spend anymore time on it, I am sorry to say.
    Unfortunately I do not own any CAD software, I could download a free one and teach myself how to use it.. but that would require too much time, which I don't have.
    I have been getting some better results, but sadly also not good enough to show.
    I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it! Thank you!
    I'll keep trying different approaches, hoping to get good results, but I'm starting to feel that the best option is to draw it by hand. Just to get it exactly right.
    IP