Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help on how to import site after disk failure

Hi,

A few days ago I decided to go from XP to Win 7 and (of course a reinstallation of) Designer Pro X9.
    I backed up everything and all went well, until the back up disc decided to become a "no disk"... just as I was ready to copy som of my graphics, web productions etc back to my discs. Of course it was my present productions that vanished.

I have searched thru my other discs to see if any of my productions was to find, but - of course - without luck.

So, at this moment I only have the published web pages on the server and that is kind of ok.
    I can import the sites page by page but special coding like slide shows, placeholder info etc are not imported.

Can anyone help me with these questions:
    - Can I import the entire site in an easy way or do I have to import page by page?
    - Is there any way that I can get my placeholder coding etc back?
    - If you have any good recommendations (except doing regular back ups...) please let me know.

Thanks!!!
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Default Re: Help on how to import site after disk failure

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes and, sorry, I have no good news for you on any of these points.

Did you save your files to a hard drive or DVDs?

If a HDD, I would try connecting it to another computer to see if it could be read, or use a HDD/USB cable and see.
    Also, go into the Windows Manager and see if the drive is being seen without a drive letter. If that's the case, just assign it one that isn't being used.
    Right-click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management

If DVDs, try other computers to see if the disk could be read. There are also software programs that attempt file restores from disks that are having issues being read. You could google for some to try.

I saved my data to a HDD.
    The HDD gave up just as I was to start moving files back to the new HDD's.
    I have tried everything, and since it has happened to me before, I have the right equipment to get the data out of a crashed disk. But in this case the disk did not show up on any computer. Software used couldn't do anything.
    So the disk is dead for sure. I have now turned it over to a computer service company to see if they can do anything. If not I have to go to more expensive resolutions...

The thing I wanted to know is if there is an easy way to import the site from the web into Xara Designer Pro X9.
    I also wanted to know if there is an easy way to import the whole site instead of page by page.
    Is there any way that I can get my placeholder coding etc back?
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

That's too bad.

In Designer Pro X9 go to File > Import Text and Graphics from the Web.

This will download one page of text and graphics into DPX9 in more or less the correct position. You will need to recreate your navigation bar, widgets, and any material you had on a separate layer.

And you will need to repeat this for each page.

But it's by degrees better than starting from scratch.

Wow.
    That's too bad.
    Once you get up and running, I know it doesn't help now, but I use Macrium to image my disks, and it's never failed me.