Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: April 2014 Giveaway - Ten Free Textures and a Tutorial on how to Use Them

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    And then toss my Dark Side of the Moon cassette in the sink's garbage disposal.

-g
    What's a cassette?!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: April 2014 Giveaway - Ten Free Textures and a Tutorial on how to Use Them

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    What's a cassette?!
    Oh, Rik, Rik, Rik. You must have been a vinyl guy and listened to FM in your car.

Here, I made this just for you. When the little wheels spun, music used to come out of your speakers.

-g

Hey. I like that bit of animation. And the music is 'Money' from one of the greatest albums ever - Dark Side of The Moon.

Yes. I have to admit that I was a vinyl guy.

A short story!
    We were not married at the time, and Lynn wanted to buy 'Out of The Blue' by ELO, which had just been released.
    So ,we went to this shop, and asked the shopkeeper if they had 'Out of the Blue'?
    The shopkeeper went to the back of the store, returned after quite a while and said, "We don't seem to have any copies left, apart from this one which is blue!"
    So, there I was looking at the album, 'Out of The Blue' in blue vinyl.
    Lynn said, "I'm not sure I want that."
    I couldn't help but shout, "YES YOU DO."

I'm sure we've still got it. Probably in the loft, somewhere!

Rik, no, the soundtrack is not "Money" from Pink Floyd's album. That would be copyright infringement. I recorded and mixed down the soundtrack, being careful not to exactly duplicate the production or the notes exactly.

PM me if you want a link to a really grand-scale homage.

-g

Gary: Relax and forget about any copyright infringements. I know a lawyer who can defend you from any lawsuits!
    I would think that Pink Floyd would be flattered.

With the 'cassette' thing. I forgot to say that I still have a splicer that I used to use to join broken tape, and take off any unwanted tape.
    It was a magical thing that allowed you to clamp down both sides of the tape, cut off the unwanted parts, and join it all together with some special adhesive tape that was included.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    being careful not to exactly duplicate the.... notes
    in this you succeeded; did you go modal or is it still diatonic

I would like to reminisce reel to reel tape and class A output amplifiers, but it would be so off topic.... <sigh>
    Last edited by handrawn; 26 April 2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: fix quote

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    in this you succeeded; did you go modal or is it still diatonic
    Eeek! Pink Floyd did some awesome bending of tempos (such as "Money", which is in 7/8 as opposed to a standard 4/4 tempo), and Dave Gilmour had an entire board (about the size of a coffin) with his stomp boxes affixed to them and one was a ring modulator that severely screwed up notes. But aside from certain Middle Ages songs and Asian music which are composed around a modal scale, we'll stick to diatonic scales until someone sneaks in and rearranges the keys on my piano.

Hey, I have a TEAC large mastering reel to reel, bought it in 1977 so I could bring home mixdowns from a buddy's professional music studio in New York City...and the sucker still works, never had a repair on it, and the darned lights on the VU meters still light up.

I wish they made cars like this.

-g

just thought you might be considering a miles davis or herbie hancock style improvisation

I remember the old TEAC stuff, back in the day it was benchmark standard, we had one in the studio theatre [that is theatre as in thespians not movies]

Here's a photo I took this morning of this still-working TEAC. The tapes from almost 40 years ago are in pretty bad condition, there's particle drifting which causes noise, and that can be negated a little by taking a sample of the pure noise and then using something like Sony Sound Forge to set up negative waves to cancel (or try to) the hiss and noise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1977-TEAC.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	101751

My nephew, who was 11 when he first saw it in our living room thought is was very cool, and asked what it did. He thought he'd seen one on a science fiction /TV rerun and that it might be part of a computer.

Okay, I'd like to steer back on topic. Because the brick texture proved to be useful, here's a 5-pack of different brick tiles, some for walls, some for bathroom floors, attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bricks-samples.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	101752

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the brick tiles Gary, those are really nice tiles and just what I've been trying to get, saved me a search.

Stygg