Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I found this render interesting in that the only texture applied to all of the surfaces is a default "grey putty" material (aside from adding reflectivity to the floor, obviously).

All of the variations in color are caused by the light playing through the flame("hypervoxels", or textured particles). I know the modelling is nothing spectacular, but I'm just getting used to Lightwave's unique approach to modelling. (In case your interested and have never used Lightwave, it uses layers in similar fashion to Photoshop--you work on single objects in single layers, never disturbing the work underneath or above--very different to me, who started with 3ds Max).

Brett[img]null[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Light_Test.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	18657  

I found this render interesting in that the only texture applied to all of the surfaces is a default "grey putty" material (aside from adding reflectivity to the floor, obviously).

All of the variations in color are caused by the light playing through the flame("hypervoxels", or textured particles). I know the modelling is nothing spectacular, but I'm just getting used to Lightwave's unique approach to modelling. (In case your interested and have never used Lightwave, it uses layers in similar fashion to Photoshop--you work on single objects in single layers, never disturbing the work underneath or above--very different to me, who started with 3ds Max).

Brett[img]null[/img]

Thats really interesting Brett [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Check out Steven Stahlbergs character work

http://www.optidigit.com/stevens/

Stu.

I like this very much. Gives me the impression of a photograph taken with daylight film in an ArtDeco room with artificial light.

Great to have someone who uses Lightwave on the Forum.

Stahlberg uses Maya, and makes wowowow work. Some of his biggies are really incredible.
    Thanks Stu, the better the examples, the higher our aim (and why should the sky be a limit?)

Brett that is cool. So do you have particles spread out all over the room? Or is it like adding noise to light and making it a volumetric lighting?

Very nice effect.

--Randy

ps I join with Erik in saying it is good to have a lightwave user here.

Wow, Stahlberg is amazing! The stuff that people are capable of never ceases to amaze me. His work should be worth a fortune to any animation house.

Thanks for the nice comments, like I said, I just posted it because the effect interested me.

Randy: The only particle emitter is the flame. There are 2 lights in the room: one inside the particle emitter (flame) and the other in the base. The emitter has hypervoxels applied (Lightwave's way of saying the particles have a texture applied) with a simple flame procedural. I wasn't too crazy about how the flame came out looking (should be brighter I think), but the effect on the ceiling and walls I thought was unique.

This was simply a test render, thus the default surfaces.

Brett