Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default "Flat icons" - the next generation

Matt Stevens, who worked on a graphics branding makeover for Pinterest, wrote a fascinating and graphically sumptuous blog about how they approached a solution for integrating different areas of the company.

Pinterest's new integrated graphics look

I confess (if that's the right word) that I hate, hate, hate Windows 8 childlike, flat, pseudo international symbol icon look, but accept it as a spearhead for an actual art movement and not just another fad that only says, "look how different I am. Therefore, I'm the next trend."

I think Pinterest nailed it (there might be a pun there). It's a very eye-pleasing and inviting mash-up of 1960s patterns, American primitive, Minimalism, and a dash of shmaltz tossed in, and you know what? I think the recipe works and serves as a fine example to follow to dress up version 1 of "flat art".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-branding.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	101483

The Pinterest art reminds me of the simplistic, but brilliant design work that went into the "interleaving" Chex cereal boxes a few years ago. The Big Idea wasn't just about the art, but about the visual continuity when the boxes were placed side by side at the supermarkets.

Name:	Chex-overlaps.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	101482

It's all good,

Gary

Default Re: "Flat icons" - the next generation

Its all a matter of taste. Personally, I find 'flat art' boring, uninteresting and unattractive. It doesn't attract me. I don't use flat graphics for any kind of graphic work that I do. I can say the reason I like Xara design software so much is because it is so easy to create 'non-flat' art especially with the use of bevel tools. Look at my map work, and my extensive of use of bevels. Of course I've never cared for the trends in art in any age, though I can appreciate their value - to me that's for some other artist to pursue. I stick with what attracts me, and what attracts publishers to my work and artistic style.

@Gameprinter—

Understood. But we did have a huge "back and forth" a few months ago on a different thread where there were two distinct and opposing camps—"The flat look is cool and refreshing" versus the "the Flat Look sucks and is a step backwards."

And what became a mild argument really didn't resolve anything, Grameprinter. True, you did qualify your initial remark with "as a matter of personal taste", and I'd have absolutely no quarrel with that because I myself am a "3D" kinda artist usually.

However, if Art becomes exclusive rather than inclusive, we'd soon be surrounded by Cookie Cutter Art, and Cookie Cutter Artists. That's why I like the mash-up the designers at Pinterest did, and why I posted the link. It's not "flat art" not really, and it's not Retro, but instead it strikes me as an evolution into different areas that the designers skillfully herded together instead of just tossing out a presentation that is scattered and artistically unfocused.

I sit back and remark at the evolution of a certain art movement, and try to spot what's a movement and what's a commercially-driven trend, a fad. I myself try periodically not to get locked into a specific "look"—whether I like it or not, it's fairly easy for people who know me to spot something I did, so it makes it that more of a challenge to dip my toe into different styles and see how I, and others feel about them. The styles, not my toes.

For example, the Valentine's Day design I did at left really is "flat" art—it might be only the slight soft-edge bevel that shades it and keeps it from being genuine Flat Art, but it has no perspective, thus cannot be considered a dimensional art form. On the other hand, the drawing I did, again using the same program, Xara, at right is fairly dimensionally and well shaded, even though it's a face-front view and lacks perspective.

Name:	flat versus dimensional.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	101496

All I'm getting at (in my usual, irritating, longish way) is there's room for all different sorts of graphical expression, and one can be mutated and adopted by a different style and the result is a whole new genre.

I had my negative words about Win 8's icons months ago, and I'm seeking a balance in my attitude lest I become blinded by a prejudice that eventually would limit the breadth of my graphics work.

And you have every right to express your discontent with The Flat Look any time you please, GamePrinter.

The best discussions I get into are when we agree to disagree.

But I see no disagreement in our discussion here, but only a discussion.

My Best,

Gary

I'm all for multitudes of preferred styles of art. I don't expect nor want a singular style of art to dominate in anything. At the same time, I don't recognize a single style of art that currently dominates the publishing field (whether web publishing or otherwise). While I do prefer to create maps with simulations of depth of field, I also create completely 'flat' design maps as well, emulating traditional mapping. I also, sometimes create art that emulates Japanese ukiyo-e wood block print styled art, especially with illustrations, but sometimes with maps as well. I don't really follow artist communities, nor consider it worthwhile (to me) to see what the community thinks about predominant styles. I don't consider their directions in art as something I ever need to consider - and I never do. They are welcome to their opinions, I just don't care. Which particular style motivates me at the time, is the one I pursue on a given project, and as stated it could be any number of styles. Maps are different than most typical illustrations, however. Basically "art movements" mean nothing to me.\

So I'm not disagreeing with anyone, rather putting forth my preference - and sticking with it.