Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Xtreme Pro 5 with very bad graphics performance on Windows 7 64

System 1 (2004): Windows XP, Pentium M (Banias, 1.6 GHz), ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, 2GiB RAM, 100 GB 5400 RPM HDD
    System 2 (2011): Windows 7, Core i3, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 8GiB RAM, 500 GB Samsung EVO SSD
    System 3: System 2 with Nvidia discrete graphics activated

Compared to system 1, on systems 2 and 3 the graphics performance of Xara Xtreme Pro 5 is horrible. Moving around a simple solidly colored rectangle is jerky. On system 1, the movement is smooth, i.e. the rectangle follows the mouse cursor without noticeable delay.

What could be an explanation?

I also tried the trial of Designer Pro X9 64, and this runs smoothly on systems 2 and 3.

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 5 with very bad graphics performance on Windows 7 64

well [unless I am mistaken] xara xtreme version 5 came out before windows 7 did so there may well be issues - did you try installing it on windows 7 in XP compatibility mode?

I take it the windows 7 systems are 64bit [otherwise no point in having 8GB RAM] quite possible xara ver 5 does not run well on windows 7 64bit natively - again compatibility mode may help

as you say the latest version 9 should indeed run ok on windows 7 64bit, as it was designed to

EDIT - I am assuming your graphics drivers are all up to date...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    well [unless I am mistaken] xara xtreme version 5 came out before windows 7
    Right: The Xara release is dated June 26 2009. Windows 7 came out later that year.

try installing it on windows 7 in XP compatibility mode?
    I just ran it in XP SP3 compatibility mode: No difference, performance is very bad.

I take it the windows 7 systems are 64bit
    Yes.

as you say the latest version 9 should indeed run ok on windows 7 64bit, as it was designed to
    Still I'd like to know what is happening here. And also I am not sure that I want to update, although there is 30% rebate offer valid until Sunday. Version 9 doesn't offer that much more, at least concerning my usage profile.

How is your View Quality set?

Three points.

1. I'm running Xara 5 on Windows 64-bit with no problems, so it's at least possible on some configurations.
    2. Try the thread settings mentioned in this discussion

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...me-Pro-5-Laggy

3. I've found Xara 5 interacts poorly with certain 3rd party software, such as clipboard managers. It might be something else on your system messing with it.

~Jesse

good link

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    How is your View Quality set?
    High Quality, on both systems.

I now did screen recordings, illustrating the issue:

By the way, I really consider upgrading, but then the next version could be just around the corner, and I hope that it finally has good SVG support - but that's another topic.

Editing the registry as described in the second post did the trick. I changed the default value from 32 to 2 and to 1, and in both cases performance is much better (Core i3). Thanks, Jesse!

3. I've found Xara 5 interacts poorly with certain 3rd party software, such as clipboard managers. It might be something else on your system messing with it.
    I did a clean install just two days ago. The system is fresh, and it's pretty bare bones. I don't even have real-time virus protection installed.