Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Leather

The lid in Gary's DIY project in XaraX forum just reminded me.....a few months ago there were some brilliant postings of intarsia, started by Al Kolka. Gary said that it was rather like tooled leather - I gave it a go and came up with this. I made the fill by scanning an unfinished belt blank left over from my leather working days. The eyelets cd. have been better aligned - anyway it was fun to do and I'd forgotten all about it. Penny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leather.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	2874  

The lid in Gary's DIY project in XaraX forum just reminded me.....a few months ago there were some brilliant postings of intarsia, started by Al Kolka. Gary said that it was rather like tooled leather - I gave it a go and came up with this. I made the fill by scanning an unfinished belt blank left over from my leather working days. The eyelets cd. have been better aligned - anyway it was fun to do and I'd forgotten all about it. Penny

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

That's really neat Penny! It looks like a great way for a leather artist to plan their designs before committing them to leather. Overall the effect is very realistic. I like your approach to the stitching - it looks simple and yet is very effective.

Something you might want to try: The top part of the belt has a curl. That's fine but the shadow makes it look like it is laying flat. Perhaps a "floor" shadow could be tried to enhance the 3D effect.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Very nice Penny, the leather tones are delicious!
    The tooling, eyelets and stitching are very convincing.

Cool belt image Penny.

My wife once wrote a story about a giant chicken (Chikensus omniviorsarus) with prehensile thumbs who made hand-tooled leather purses with El Paso Brovo on them. Your belt brought Mary's delightfully silly story to mind.

How are you at leather bags? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...

The leather effect is very convincing. Overall a great belt, I would buy one! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The lettering and the designs look really good.

Risto

The magazine section of my Saturday paper contains a double-page ad for 'the new fordluxuryka', with a huge caption of dubious taste in 'stitched leather' letters:

any more leather and it'd moo

See Ford Ka? See Ford cow? Must be some potential for Xart here - perhaps a competition to think up and 'stitch' the tackiest 'leather' slogan? Might even have a go myself - if I can spare the time from fitting out the boat, that is!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ka.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	3272  

...they have a tendency to always run "away" from light. And in the same direction.

I find that humorously coincidental given the way that shadows in general are perceived by our culture. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Great effect Penny. I think it could be quite useful. And as a side note, i would take Ross's suggestion and correct the shadows... remove any signs of a shadow on the object's top edges. Remember... shadows will run "away" from the light, and in the same direction.

A quick note about shadows: (for those who don't have 'the knowin') [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    The only time you would see a 'visible' shadow on all sides of an object, is:
    1 if you were looking directly down upon the object from above. (given that light, in our world, usually shines "down" upon things)
    2 if the light source were coming from directly above the object, pointing straight down at it. The shadow(s) then, in this case, would tend to not be too 'blury', but instead, more hard-edged.
    3 if there are multiple light sources within an object's environment. And if there were, the 'intensity' of shadow cast on each side of the object may be noticably different in strength.

Also... the closer a light source gets to an object, the larger it's shadow will be cast. But in most situations, the light source would have to be right on top of an object to really see a noticable difference.

I hope this wasn't too boring for anyone. Just trying to "shead some light" as it were, on this subject. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by theKeeper on April 09, 2001 at 02:27 AM.]

...for all the feedback. As always, a great help and quite right, Ross, about the shadows. To theKeeper - I learnt about shadows in art class so long ago that I'd clearly forgotten everything - so thanks for the reminder! Penny