Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Help our website has been hacked.... how do we resolve ?

Hi Amber, the htaccess file is put there by your hosting company. You can download filezilla free here https://filezilla-project.org/ download the 'Filezilla Client' When filezilla is installed enter your ftp details and then when the files are viewable find the .htaccess file (should be the same folder as your index.htm file) and right click and click on 'vire/edit' this will then ask you which software you want to open it, just select the top option (should be notepad) then you should see the following code:

# Begin default subdomain redirect #
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^designerflooring.biz
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yourdomain.com/$1 [R=permanent,L]

# End default subdomain redirect #

If this red code is not your websites url then change it to the actual url of your website, save the file, close Notepad and filezilla will bring up a pop up to say that 'a previously opened file has changed' click 'Yes' and that should solve the problem.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Hi thanks for your help again.

We did not have an htaccess file and I phones Easyspace again to double check and they confirmed that we didn't have one. I got them to delete all out files from their server which they actually did and I have republished the website from my local backup fil on my own pc again.

I think it has worked as I can no longer see the hacked code when I right click to view the website source and the Google Webmaster Tool fetch looks good too.

However search results are STILL returning the wrong (hacked) website so I was advised to request google to recrawl the domain/website. I think I just did that through Google Webmaster tools although I have no idea how long it takes for that to happen.

Does anyone know the easiest or quickest way to get google etc to recrawl a site as there were no contact details for me to contact google and ask them. Also do I have to ask EVERY single search engine to recrawl as the hack code had references to 'google' 'bing' 'aol' and 'yahoo' in it as you can see on my earlier image file.

A HUGE THANKS TO ALL OF YOU so far who have kindly helped and hopefully after a nightmare of a week I am finally getting closer to sorting it. I should have asked on here first... THANKS

Remember to change your password and make it a tough one. Also you can change your user name to something that is harder to hack.

Hi Amber,

Just for future thought there is two places the .htaccess file may reside, one would be in the main public html directory that the website is stored in and also one directory above the public html directory, so in this case,

If you are hosted on a Linux based web server.

/home/yourusername/public_html/.htaccess
    and
    /home/yourusername/.htaccess

Also you may be able to upload your website with FileZilla securely by using SFTP since uploading your website on the standard ftp port 21 is insecure. Check with your hosting company to see if they support SFTP.

The settings in FileZilla would look something like this:

Host: ftp.yourdomainname.com
    Port: 22 (Or port given to you by your hosting service)
    Protocol: SFTP
    Logon Type: Normal
    User: yourusername
    Password: xxxxxx

Using SFTP will prevent a hacker from intercepting your username and password.

Thanks

I have been hacked and lost all of my files and my databases. I learned the value of a web host that backs up sites more than once a day and keeps the backups for a month.
    Just my 2 cents worth

Jim