Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Why would a white rectangle take so long to load?

Hi, I published a site this afternoon... it still needs lots of work, but at least the bare bones are there However, I can't understand why each page - and particulary the white textured rectangle in the page background for each page - takes so long to load ? I optimised all the images on the site before export and yet it all seems quite slow, but the white rectangle is the slowest of all. I'm relatively new and this is only my second site using Xara Web Designer, however, the first has no issues with how fast it loads.

www.monkeypants.com.au

Thanks

Nicky

Default Re: Why would a white rectangle take so long to load?

Quote Originally Posted by NickyE View Post
    Hi, I published a site this afternoon... it still needs lots of work, but at least the bare bones are there However, I can't understand why each page - and particulary the white textured rectangle in the page background for each page - takes so long to load ? I optimised all the images on the site before export and yet it all seems quite slow, but the white rectangle is the slowest of all. I'm relatively new and this is only my second site using Xara Web Designer, however, the first has no issues with how fast it loads.

www.monkeypants.com.au

Thanks

Nicky
    Nicky, it is not white, it is textured and is therefore quite big:
    842.png

Dimensions1100 × 1252File size1.2 MBMIME typeimage/pngURLhttp://www.monkeypants.com.au/index_htm_files/842.png

Change it to a plain grey to see the difference in size.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yep, that did it. What a shame that something as simple as a texture, could create such a drag on the loading speed though. It looked great, but it had to go

Thanks for your help.

Great looking site BTW.

If you create a small square texture bitmap, you can select the bitmap in the Bitmap Gallery and use it as a fill. This tiles the image and will accomplish the same thing but will load much faster.

Are you using WD6 or have you upgraded? Your profile shows WD6.

I'm glad you like the look of the site so far. I'm using Web Designer 9 premium. (I must go and change my profile). Thanks Gary, will try this.

Hi NickyE, congratulations, I like the simplicity of your site. On the contact page I noticed that your picture covers the word media, I thought you might want to know. I use internet explorer 11. Here is a copy of what I saw, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monkey pants media.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	101408

Ciao

Roly