Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New cafe website

When I say 'template' I suppose I mean, sell a website you have already designed, so that we can modify it to suit our own customers. We would not use/need the existing text or images, just the layout with with navigation. Your original customer should have no concerns if the design is used for another type of business or even in a different country. Of course, they could legitimately complain if a competing business in the same district used the same outline.
    It is no different for those of us who use Xara templates, often using the same design for multiple businesses. And if your original customer does not have a proviso that you, the designer, cannot use the design elsewhere, or sell it to another web-designer, then there is no redress there either?
    This would add a value-added service to your business and it would be essentially free to you, as you have already designed the site AND been paid for it already.
    Just sayin....

The idea was to have completely original themes, all designs done for my clients are original and even when a client asks for a site just like another I have created I will never do so, I might take elements that the client wants from various of my sites but not copy anything exactly. All design is sold as 'bespoke' unless it is a wordpress theme which is customised and then the client is aware that we are doing so. Anyway it is not going to happen as apparently the demand is not there.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Hi Cloud.
    Did you do this website using Xara?! http://www.cloudwebagency.com

If you did, then how do you make a background that stretches all the way on both sides, no matter what the screen resolution?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Rik, It's not a Xara-built site.

I believe the site uses divs that size to the width of the browser and the background colour that you see is the colour of the div, not a graphic at all.

Thanks for the answer, Paul.

It must be possible in Xara though.
    In my gallery, there are backgrounds like that sort of thing, that can be applied.
    They just don't seem to be suitable for me, or editable, and only appear to be for the top of the page.

So, I hope Cloud doesn't mind me asking here, if anyone knows how to do that?

It could be a pretty cool thing for Xara to have a horizontal element that will fit the width of the browser and use CSS to colour it rather than a bitmap.

Rik - the site has been created in adobe muse. It's been a while since I used xara but the background aspect can be done quite easily in xara; simply create a rectangle (of the colour of your choice) on the 'background' layer and set it to fill the browser window and it does use css elements rather than images.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    Rik - the site has been created in adobe muse. It's been a while since I used xara but the background aspect can be done quite easily in xara; simply create a rectangle (of the colour of your choice) on the 'background' layer and set it to fill the browser window and it does use css elements rather than images.
    Thanks for the reply, Cloud.
    But...
    What width should the rectangle be?
    Should it be on, or off the page?
    And I can't see where the option to 'fill the browser window' is?

EDIT: I got it. The object has to be on the 'Pasteboard background'. Then you can select 'Fill browser width'. Thanks, Cloud.
    Last edited by Rik; 04 May 2015 at 04:01 PM.

You can tell I haven't use it in a while, yes you are correct it is the pasteboard background.