Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New cafe website

I seem to be posting less and less websites these days as I am busy with our own set of websites for the company.

This website is a replacement for a site which was created by the client using one of those template based offerings from their hosting company, but that site was really bad. With this site I have gone for a flat look (as I always do) with a slight retro look it with the colours and to some elements including the logo. The fonts are kept quite large as I think that these days 12px or 13px is too small a font size, I will no typically use at least 15px for body text, headings can be any size above 22pxAlthough the freshness of the ingrediants is being pushed I did not want to go over the top with green so limited it's use.

I initially created a slideshow for the header but then I took it off as I felt it was simply not needed. There is a tendency with designers to include elements like sliders to try and justify their fees but if an element is not needed then don't put it in, so off it came and not only does it simplify the website it makes it load a lot quicker as well. The branding for the website follows through into their social media as well, which again is something which tends to be neglected by clients.

http://www.carlislecafe.co.uk/index.htm
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Default Re: New cafe website

Fun. Do they deliver? To New Mexico?

I would give anything to eat some of the food in New Mexico, we've got a restaurant near us which has a tex-mex menu and it's really good.

Once again Skech shows us just how to design a website. I am amazed at how many consistently good examples he shows us. I know it is not all down to Xara, as he uses various elements to bring them together. This is a really good website without taking into account how it was made, a very good design. I have created quite a few websites now but I cannot hold a candle to this guy.
    Anyway Skech, have you thought about selling your designs to us Xara users, as I would be first in line.! Seriously, think about it, another income stream? I have just bought a new batch of templates from a company not affiliated with Xara and their latest batch is quite good, actually better than Xara's own. And Skech's are better than that as well, so maybe he can think about it?

yes it's a nicely designed website

but I am beginning to feel that all websites designed to be compatible with the modern devices all look basically the same - lots of white space with text with a smattering of clipart and the odd photo - almost like being back in the '90's <sigh>
    Last edited by handrawn; 01 April 2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: dopy smell checker

If only all websites had lots of white space with text and a smattering of clipart and the odd photo

As far as I'm concerned a website is their to get you business, if you need to showcase a product then by all means have some photos but for me the simpler the better; who are you, what do you do, what do you sell, how can you help me and how do I contact you - that is all that's needed, explained in the simplest way possible.

you said it all in the first phrase of your second line - it's called appeal - and I read so much I need to see something to make me want to read more...

but we are of course all individuals and different [except me ]

Nice clean site Skech, i like it.

Can i make one suggestion.......... The Aziz Catering logo and text in your footer seem a little too low in relation to its neighbours. small thing but did catch my eye.

"Your never too old to Rock and Roll" ......
    ~Ronald Belford Scott 1946-1980

Thanks 'Alba will have to look into the aziz logo.

Andy I have posted a thread on here a while back as a survey to see what the posiblity of me creating templates is but it seemed no one was interested and the time it would take to develop a website to sell them and of course design them would not be worthwhile, as it seems that the number of xara users is too small to justify doing so. I have been investigating Adobe muse and will instead look at creating templates for that as I know the market to be very large and I have had good feedback from both the adobe muse community and Adobe themselves.

now that i would be interested in
    "Your never too old to Rock and Roll" ......
    ~Ronald Belford Scott 1946-1980