Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default smoothing out shapes (file attached)

I have several illustrator files with shapes that need smoothing (one of the simpler ones attached). Right now there are jagged edges on the numbers and shapes. I have looked up threads regarding this but had no luck. The simplify option distorts too much as does the smooth tool.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Default Re: smoothing out shapes (file attached)

I think you can redraw them and make them much smoother. I redid a 3 and made it red for you, needs some tweaking but I hope you get the idea.

3 and half clubs regular 2.ai
    Richard
    IP

I would do your own re-draw then using Pen Tool. I did these in about 6 minutes, right I know the club is not the best and the spade is not much better but I am sure you could knock these up quite simply and get them the way you want them. Download a card that you think is good and lock that image in a layer. Make a new layer then trace your shape out you only need to trace half the shape as they are symmetrical. Also on the 2nd layer use guides and right click them to lock once happy with position. Talking about downloads is there not vector cards out there for you to use?
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Thanks for the advice guys. I knew a redraw would be an option but thought there may be some smoothing technique that would work as I have other files that are more intricate that have the same jagged problem.
    IP

As Richard states the Smoothing Tool (part of the pencil) works and you can get rid of many of the points and with a duplicated card in a locked layer underneath you can smooth out most of the points. After using that tool if you had lost the shape you then could use the Direct Selection tool to modify back to your locked template underneath. That's a lot of mouse movement I would just redraw using Pen Tool with guides and your original underneath dimmed slightly.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jhmagic1 View Post
    I have several illustrator files with shapes that need smoothing (one of the simpler ones attached). Right now there are jagged edges on the numbers and shapes. I have looked up threads regarding this but had no luck. The simplify option distorts too much as does the smooth tool.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Simplifying paths works in some cases...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001284.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	101292

At least as a means to modify by hand.

Also, don't forget that in some/many cases, one can find free, open source clipart (for commercial use as well), like in the attached. Reasonably well drawn. Points in some cases not where I would put them, but they work. Might have been the conversion of the SVG loaded into XDP too (sometimes points will be in one place in one application, in a different place in another).

Mike
    IP