Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Latest Version Lacking...HUGELY!

Hi all,

This is the first time I've posted here and to be honest, it's more disappointment than anything which has driven me to do so.

Having first used Xara in 2009 as a way of teaching myself the workings of web design, I have been consistently impressed with not only the abilities but also the advances in the upgrades as and when they have come. That was up until the MX (v8) update. I duly upgraded to MX as I was content (at best) with what the upgrade was providing but to be honest, I saw this as a stepping stone as what was to come in the next version. Cue my absolute indignation at what has been 'trotted out' with this latest 'upgrade'. Version 9 (bearing in mind I've always opted for the premium versions) is in my humble opinion, nothing short of an insult. A few added widgets and some support for high-res images to be viewed better on 'Retina Display'. What's more, on the list of 'new features' there's font embedding. This was a new feature before this latest version.

The real insult here is that although there's now so-called support for Retina display, there's no support to provide even the ability to switch between mobile sites, let alone progressive design. At this point I would like to stress that I couldn't care less about the WYSIWYG design format and how it doesn't support the progressive design...other programs can; read on.

Now I do remember reading on this forum some time back discussing the validity of progressive/mobile design and whether it was really valid. Well to be honest, I think the case for validity has been proven in smartphone and mobile device sales the world over. The fact that Xara/Magix expect me to pay ANOTHER £59.99 to upgrade and then pay FURTHER for designs which are at best, fisher price v2.0 is insulting.

I've never felt the need to before, but since this shoddy upgrade was released I've done a bit of shopping around and for less than the price of a first purchase (currently down from £89.99 to £59.99 which if they have a similar business model to these clowns, means there's an even better update in the pipeline), not only do they provide the ability to create YOUR OWN web forms rather than using a plugin from no doubt companies who pay handsomely (JotForm et al) rather than building the function into the program themselves, but also enable you to create an auto-detection to direct a visitor to a web or mobile version of your site depending on the device they're using and the ability to create both within the same structure.

In fact, I started writing this as a plea to Xara to pull their finger out and realise we aren't at the turn of the century any more but to be honest, although it will pain me greatly to have to learn a new system, I can't justify a further £60 for something which is 'just a little bit better' than the previous version and in all honest, childs' play compared to their competitors.

Sorry Xara, you've rested on your laurels for too long.

Not happy at all.

I wonder if there are any other members out there who feel similar.

Default Re: Latest Version Lacking...HUGELY!

nobody expects you to upgrade - if it's not for you you don't - I did not upgrade my product to version 9

so what is this wonderful alternative product that you know of but somehow have forgotten to identify? - to be honest if you cannot justify the £60 as opposed to a xara upgrade, can't be that good can it, but we don't know because you haven't said what it is...

I can tell you are frustrated, but if you don't care about WYSIWYG, were you using the right program in the first place?

are you sure font embedding was there before - as I understand it this is the ability to embed fonts into your web documents so that visitors to the site can see them even if they do not have those fonts on their computer - I am pretty sure that is not in version 8, although I may be wrong, I think you may be mixing it up with something else -ok I was wrong it is an improvement to the existing system [which personally I don't use]

I get as disappointed as you on the drawing side, but like I said I didn't upgrade and giving the reasons is one thing, berating the company something else again - it's a small and very helpful company once you get to know it....
    Last edited by handrawn; 15 March 2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: remove unnecessary quotes and correct

Why not try before you buy?

We all get disappointed at what a company does, or doesn't do.

If you were in charge of the company, you would steer it in one direction. But, I may not like that direction.
    If I was in charge of the company, I would steer it in another direction. But, you may not like that direction.
    So, what's the answer?
    There isn't one.
    Because neither of us are in charge, and we don't have the luxury of making those business decisions.

We just have the luxury of being able to give our opinions.
    And not everyone is going to agree with yours, or my opinions.

Don't upgrade if you think the price is not right for you.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

You're right I did forget to mention the alternative. Serif Web Plus is the program I've been researching.

Just to answer a few points, the point I was making with regards to not caring about 'the WYSIWYG' is that people have stated before that as a code generator, it's not easy for Xara to translate everything set in the WYSIWYG format into a progressive format. The point I was making is that Serif have created a workaround with implementing auto-detection and sending the visitor to either the mobile or desktop version of your site. Both of which you can work on with that program.

Trying before I buy is one thing, but as an upgrade is always a better supported product than the one before, I figured to continue to have the most stable and up to date program, an upgrade was needed.

Now with regards to, 'if I was in charge of the company'; in all honesty. regardless of who is in charge of the company, this company are a developer of a program which enables the user to design web sites. The way in which the masses are connecting to the internet has changed significantly in recent years and a failure to advance the company with the changing market is foolish. I'm just glad I'm not a shareholder.

the last time I looked xara was privately held, [and that's what it currently says on Linkedin] - a wholly owned subsidiary of Magix who may well have shareholders, but Xara does not it would appear...

it's always disappointing when something is not advancing as fast as you think it should, but as Rik said, the Company makes commercial decisions across a whole range of options... another member here made an interesting observation recently about a possible direction in which they might be going in respect of the Cloud, but it's all just speculation at this point

have you actually used the full version of Serif Web Plus - I'd be interested in a direct and meaningful comparison...

I'm seriously considering it. From what I can see with the online support materials (tutorials etc) there seems to be a very good set up to redirect depending on a visitor's device. I've had a number of clients over the past couple of years asking about mobile viewing. The thing that irks me also with regards to the execution of xara on mobile is even though you set up a page to be easily viewed in both, depending on which point you have a mobile device at (as in what rate of pinch/zoom you're at) the text which you've set to be repelled will more often than not, overlap. Which means I'm having to go in to re-do a job manually which Xara was supposed to do for me the first time.

I can see that being a pain

there are quite a few artists on this forum - viewing certain kinds of art on a mobile is on a par with watching wide screen movies on avery small TV, maybe even worse... but there you go, what can you do...

I purchased Serif Web Plus a few weeks ago, studied it for 5 days, then asked for a refund. The reason I requested a refund: I discovered XARA !! Serif's product is quite good, but not in the same league as XARA. I would purchase Serif again if Xara didn't exist. And by the way Serif now wants 99.99 €. That a big price hike since I purchased it less than 2 weeks ago.

Larry

That's what we like to hear, Larry.