Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default White area next to side scroll bar

Not sure when or why this is happening, but I have a white area next to the scroll bar to the far right of some of the pages when they load our website. It seems to be happening on any pages that have content loading (You Tube Videos, News Feeds, Message boxes, etc). I'm not noticing it in Internet Explorer but I do see it in Chrome and Firefox. I also know this wasn't happening until only recently. Here's the website ..

http://www.museum.tv

Look at the main page, newsletter, photo gallery, schedule a tour pages for example.

Can anybody tell me why this happens and if there is a way to remove it? This website was made with Xara Web Designer 9 btw. Thanks!

Default Re: White area next to side scroll bar

I am not seeing this in Firefox. But I do see it in Chrome.

I have no idea why.

Ugh,

It's in Firefox and Opera too. Darn I wonder what it could be?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I am not seeing this in Firefox. But I do see it in Chrome.

I have no idea why.

My suspicion is the background image is only being partially rendered.
    It is 1536 × 1920 but the page size is 955 x 1259.
    If I were a browser, I would be throwing away the bottom bit. Perhaps you can too.

Acorn

Hi Acorn,

If that's the case, is the best way to resize the background to exactly 955 x 1259?

I'm still confused by this "pasterboard background" option. When I look at the site in Chrome and Firefox, I occasionally get white lines to the right side. Last night I looked the website in a very wide monitor and there were permanent white spaces on either side of the screen. The pages that have the most trouble are those with active content on them like the home page, schedule a tour, newsletter and photo gallery pages at http://www.museum.tv Is the background to narrow, to wide, too long? Why does it look fine on pages without active content?

Still can't fathom this one out. Did you resize the background?
    If I refresh on a slow connection, the background it positioned to the left then it centres.
    Perhaps the active content is affecting this positioning.

The only thing I have spotted is the code in the BODY tag: background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;
    It should be background-repeat: no-repeat;, which a pure co-incidence and not the cause.

Raise it with Xara and until then kludge it by adding a Pasteboard colour (#45287A) to mask it; it's a dark blue and better than the white showing.

Acorn

Thanks Acorn for responding. I need some guidance. Where can I go to edit this body tag to just one "no-repeat"?

Also you said "Raise it with Xara and until then kludge it by adding a Pasteboard colour (#45287A) to mask it; it's a dark blue and better than the white showing".

What am I raising and where can I go to put in that color number?

Thanks, Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Still can't fathom this one out. Did you resize the background?
    If I refresh on a slow connection, the background it positioned to the left then it centres.
    Perhaps the active content is affecting this positioning.

The only thing I have spotted is the code in the BODY tag: background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;
    It should be background-repeat: no-repeat;, which a pure co-incidence and not the cause.

Raise it with Xara and until then kludge it by adding a Pasteboard colour (#45287A) to mask it; it's a dark blue and better than the white showing.

Acorn

Todd, ignore the doubled no-repeat.

Raise a Xara fault to the effect that you are getting spurious rectangles missing on your page background.

Drag any colour form the bottom colour palette onto your Pasteboard.
    In the Page & Layer Gallery, unlock the pasteboard.
    Select the rectangle under it.
    Open the colour editor and open the RGB model entry window (check 'Colour editor' in the Help) and enter the required Hex value.

Acorn

Thanks again Acorn for responding. When I either drag one of the little color squares on to the pasterboard or I go in and unlock the paster board and put the hex value in which you gave me, it changes the color of the background image itself, not the background color (which currently is white). Hmmm any ideas?