Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Help needed

Default Help needed

I have been procrastinating and it is time to get back in gear. Attached are two xar files. The first is the start of a design document and the second an extract from the database that creates a table for XART. Could you please look at these and make comments.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

Default Re: Help needed

I guess all the enthusiasm for this project has faded. I must admit that I have been procrastinating, it is hard to do by oneself. Plus, I ask, even if I do finish it, is there anyone who would take I over?
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

How can I help Grace? Maybe I could help design the look but could not help with any programing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

The first thing I would like is for people to look at my documents and see if they make sense. I have been resisting working on the XAML front end, because I don't like XAML. But what I want to do is get all the functionality there with a very plain look and feel. Then, hopefully someone can take the XAML and improve the look. As no one else seems to be willing to touch the XAML all I really need right now is encouragement and I will get back to work.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

Encourage, Encourage, Encourage. I'm on me iPad at the moment but will go to my computer shortly so i can view your file. Anything else I can do?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

OK Grace I viewed your files, looks OK to me but I really don't know how to interpret that information. My son is a whiz at programing so will show it to him when he gets home from school and see what he makes of it. He taught himself visual basic and C and likes to program but in school he is studying network administration because they did not offer programing there at the time.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

IP

Well, as no one else seemed interested in the project any more - and we have XaReg, I have pretty much given up. I did have the back end completed, but I was struggling with the front end. I may go back to it one day, but right now I have other projects to amuse me
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

What is the front end you are struggling with? Is that something I can help with?

EDIT: Anyway don't give up. There are not a lot of people who want to get involved with anything. Is it the look of the interface? I had a few ideas awhile back and worked on it for awhile. I may not be much of a designer but I can try.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

IP

It is the actual coding of the front end in XAML. I am used to programming languages that are compiled and give you decent syntax errors. XAML gives you very vague errors at run time and, without someone else to look at the code, I get very frustrated. I make small gains, then give up for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    What is the front end you are struggling with? Is that something I can help with?

EDIT: Anyway don't give up. There are not a lot of people who want to get involved with anything. Is it the look of the interface? I had a few ideas awhile back and worked on it for awhile. I may not be much of a designer but I can try.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

Thanks Grace. Maybe I'll look at it and see if I can learn to code although I'm not sure my brain can cope with that. Seems like everything gives me trouble these days. Anyhow I am willing to try.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

IP