Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default March 2014 Giveaway - Wisps of Smoke and Steam

Wisps of Smoke and Steam March 2014 Free Giveaway

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wisps-of-smoke-billboard.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	101107

This month, Gary has used an open source program, Chaoscope, and a few other tools to produce photorealistic, detailed, high resolution PNG images—with transparency— of wafts and wisps of smoke and steam. Want to warm up an illustration of coffee or tea? No problem, import any of the eight PNGs, position and scale them. CAUTION: your drawings of beverages in the future might be very hot.

Download the files (don't forget the Bonus ones at the bottom of the page) and then show us how you make things hot!
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: March 2014 Giveaway - Wisps of Smoke and Steam

These will be very useful I have a collection of coffee cups, take out cups, liquid toppers (that simulate different kind of liquids), steam and even straws and ice cubes that I've done over the years. These wisps of steam/smoke will make a nice addition. Thanks Gary!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffeenfriends.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	101108  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks for those Gary, I always have trouble creating steam or wisps of smoke, they will come in very useful indeed.

Stygg

Thanks for the hot coffee Gary

Stygg

Name:	1.png 
Views:	451 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	101111  

@Frances, you're more than welcome!

@ Stygg—very nice illustration of a coffee cup! Why doesn't it reflect anything? Answer: It's porcelain, not plastic, Gary, you fool! :)

Seriously, Chaoscope is a challenge to learn, probably because you're not supposed to learn it, you're supposed to experiment with it. The first time I achieved ropy strands of trailing soft paths, I kept the equation and have been doing minor variations for years now.

Convincing-looking smoke has almost unlimited potential, especially when you combine these files with the Liquid Color Live Effect. A race car screeching to a halt, add a few circles and feather them, and make "magic" emanating from a magic wand, just tuck 'em away, I'll create more if the demand is there in the future, and enjoy!

My Best,

Gary

I couldn't work out how you'd altered the coffee cup at first Francis, bit slow on the uptake and figuring out today but got there in the end. What you did with some labeling would make a nice coffee advert. Thanks for sharing Francis. Please excuse me for not cleaning the final image up(edges)

Stygg

Name:	Cheers.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	101117  

If you folks haven't downloaded the Bonus files yet, I drew a coffee cup, the disposable sort, it's all vector (unlike the incense burner which is a bitmap render), and it's very easy to use the Mould tool to add a logo to my cup, your cup, or a flying saucer.

-g

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

@ Stygg I didn't alter Gary's coffee cup. I used one of my own
    @ Gary: I have downloaded the bonus files and your coffee cup will be a nice addition to my colloection
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

it's a strangle strangely attractive program chaoscope... good work with the wisps... all smoke and no mirrors you might say [but only if you were me maybe]....

C'est bien
    Last edited by handrawn; 17 March 2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: I swear the dyslexia is wetting gurze

Ahhhh great cup of coffee! Thanks for the wisps and cup, Gare! They're very useful!

Name:	dragon_sm_coffee.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	101122  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain