Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Change program skin

I've been using Photo Graphic Designer 6 for some time now and love the software. But, I still can't get used to the dark gray skin and am wondering if there are any options to changing the look of the program's interface. The blackness of everything makes it hard for me to distinguish toolbars and icons and, I guess, it just depresses and bugs me. It would be absolutely cool if the program would allow the end user to choose from various skin options, or even to choose basic color options based on what works best for the user visually. Unless this option exists somewhere within the program and I just haven't found it yet after all these months of use.

Thanks for anyone's feedback or assistance.

GG
    Houston, TX USA

Default Re: Change program skin

I'm with you. The dark skin works better on some monitors than others, but overall I still find it difficult. Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to switch to the light UI. Note that you'll have to rebuild any custom controlbars you've created.

amoore,

Thanks for the tip. What a huge difference it makes, not necessarily prettier, but certainly more visually acceptable. It's worth having to set up my toolbars all over again. One would think this tip would be mentioned in the options or user help area. It's ironic, but being a premier graphics program you would think they would offer the end user customization options regarding the UI so the user can personalize it based on their own visual needs and preferences. Wish there was someway to encourage the powers that be to make this so, but I don't know what can be done or who to send suggestions to.

However, still a great and affordable program that serves the bulk of my graphics needs everyday. And thanks to you, easier on the eyes.

GG

I don't think it was meant to be a an option, it was merely a tool the programers used to compare when deciding. From what I heard it was a leaked tip. At first I didn't like the dark interface either, and would switch to the light one, somehow I got used to the dark interface and now I like it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

suggestions can be posted in 'Dear Xara' forum

Larry is right - only the dark skin is officially supported in current versions

Considering that it seems that so many don't like the dark interface or how many requests there seem to be on how to change it, I think on option to change it would be a welcome addition, changing the interface color in not without it's consequences however.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I would agree with Alison, that monitor can be a factor, and also the ambient light conditions... the theory of dark interfaces being colour neutral goes out the window if you are using the computer under less than ideal room lighting conditions, and many have not a lot of choice

You can change from dark to light, and back again and not lose your toolbar settings.
    But, this requires the user to make changes to a Xara file.

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S - is the safer method. Even though you have to redo your toolbars.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone