Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Red face Re: Can't Copy & Paste (Widget) Code from www.trulia.com/widgets

Good Monday Morning all,
    I've downloaded Notepad++ and now must learn how to use this rather complex program. I think my main concern will be whether I will need to first go to www.trulia.com/widgets and copy the code for that widget and then paste it into Notepad++ and then copy if from Notepad++ and paste it onto my Xara webpage. Although this seems to be a very convoluted way to get the widget onto my webpage, but I will have to do what it takes. On the other hand, it may be that anytime I copy and code that code is automatically loaded into Notepad++. I am hopeful that anytime I copy any code it will be loaded onto Notepad++ without me having to do anything. If so, the most basic thing I will have to do is learn how to move that code to my website. I am happy that many here knows how to use Notepad++ and can give me some guidance when, not if, I get stuck. It's a shame I can't just get the codes for any widgets on Trulia and then copy and paste that code using Web Properties > Place Holder > HTML code body. What a shame it's not that simple. Thanks all.

Red face Re: Can't Copy & Paste (Widget) Code from www.trulia.com/widgets

Good Monday Morning all,
    I've downloaded Notepad++ and now must learn how to use this rather complex program. I think my main concern will be whether I will need to first go to www.trulia.com/widgets and copy the code for that widget and then paste it into Notepad++ and then copy if from Notepad++ and paste it onto my Xara webpage. Although this seems to be a very convoluted way to get the widget onto my webpage, but I will have to do what it takes. On the other hand, it may be that anytime I copy and code that code is automatically loaded into Notepad++. I am hopeful that anytime I copy any code it will be loaded onto Notepad++ without me having to do anything. If so, the most basic thing I will have to do is learn how to move that code to my website. I am happy that many here knows how to use Notepad++ and can give me some guidance when, not if, I get stuck. It's a shame I can't just get the codes for any widgets on Trulia and then copy and paste that code using Web Properties > Place Holder > HTML code body. What a shame it's not that simple. Thanks all. Bob

Default Re: Can't Copy & Paste (Widget) Code from www.trulia.com/widgets

When you go to Properties > Placeholder > Replace with HTML code the flashing cursor meaning "insertion point" should be there - right-click, then in the menu left-click on paste.

In Windows, when you copy [or cut] something it is temporarily kept in limbo in what is known as the "clipboard" - you don't have to worry about this - and then you go to wherever it is you want what you have copied to be and paste it. No need for intermediary step of Notepad++ for many years now.

On the keyboard you can also do ctrl+c and ctrl+v for copy and paste
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Good morning Mr. Zaphodeist and thank you for responding. Please do me the favor, when you have the time and if you don't mind, please go to: www.trulia.com/widget. Scroll down the page to the "Rent vs Buy Calculator" and gather the code. The widgets are all free and only takes a minute or two. Then tell me how you got that code back to Properties > Placeholder > Replace with HTML code When that window opens up with the flashing cursor I have not been able to get the code to show up there as I think it should and as you've suggested it should. I wish it were as easy for me as it is for you sir. In other words, I should be able to paste the code from the Rent vs Buy widget into the window with the blinking cursor or am I wrong?

I have tried getting the widget onto my webpage using a placeholder and without a placeholder and the results are the same. Nothing shows up that remotely looks like the Rent vs. Buy widget.

Code in the box

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	code_in_box.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	101024

Preview of what will be on your site

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	101025

I didn't size the placeholder [lazy today ] but you should
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Zaphodeist, First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to go to the Trulia website for me. I wanted to be certain that you clearly understood what I was dealing with. Please tell me step by step how you did this. As I've stated, I have tried every which way I could, but never was able to get the code pasted in the window as you have done here. Let me tell you what my computer system consist of and I don't know if this makes a difference but here it is: Asus CM5671 desk top computer, Windows 7 Home Premium, Pentium (R) dual core CPU, 12 GB memory and 64 bit OP system. I am also using Xara Webdesign Premium 7. I don't think this could make a difference, but as a novice, I want you to have all the information just in case. Again, please share with me (step by step) how you arrived at your great results as I would love to know sir. Bob
    Last edited by musicmanbob; 10 March 2014 at 04:54 PM.

The answer is going to be the same as we have explained to you already. From what I understand, your problem is not being able to copy the code in the first instance which is very strange. Can you confirm that you are able to copy and paste at all. As a test, open a word document and try a copy and paste, and then come back and let us know the result.

Mr. Miko, Prior to retirement, I worked as an Addiction Prog Manager for the government. I developed many documents on addiction and various drugs of abuse. All of these documents were developed using Microsoft Publisher. I was able to copy and paste one of these documents on one of my Xara webpage without problems. Will that do as an example sir or is it important that I use a "Word" document? Also, as an audiophile and reel to reel tape lover I have done copy and paste of many articals from Stereophile and other audio emagazines on the internet using "Microsoft's One Note". I've never had difficulties with copy and paste until I tried to copy and past the www.trulia.com/widget Rent vs. Buy Calculator, absolutely no problems til now sir and I've used the same computer I now use to build the real estate website for my wife. By the way, I can understand why you have questions. I think this is a very unusual situation and one I certainly don't understand sir. Bob

Yes that is fine. We now know that your copy and paste function is working ok.
    I have sent you a PM with the code. Please try to copy and paste the code into your website following the instructions as previously given.

OK Mr. Miko I will do that right now. Thank you for sticking with me over this period. Bob