Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: pdf problems

Default pdf problems

Slightly perplexing problem with uploading a pdf. Have a link on the site to a rather large pdf (20mb) supplied by the client. Have managed to reduce this in size to around (8mb) (awaiting original Word file so I can reduce it even further). Thought to put the lower size on on the site while waitinge so linked it in and exported to disk and then uploaded via filezilla. Now whilst the pdf names appear in the online file as they should there is no value to them. Have deleted the files online and uploaded just those files but to no avail. Filezilla seems to get to 20% of the file size (1.5 mb) then goes back to the start of the file and repeats over and over and ends up with a zero size on the server.

Whilst this may be a filezilla problem all of the other associated pdf links have been uploaded ok.

Any ideas

Ken

Default Re: pdf problems

Did you have any problems uploading the 20MB PDF file?

Maybe you should just leave that file in place until you can work with the original doc file.

Hi GAry this is one of the perplexing bits in that the 20mb file uploaded and took so long to download that it timed out on may peoples computers. I took the file and reduced it in adobe renamed it and set up the links in WD 7 Pr and exported to the file on my disk and haven't been able to upload it. Don't know if it is WD or filezilla. Just have to wait for the lighter version form the client. Even the smaller version at 8mb is ignored. Will check out filezilla. Though to be fair I did have a couple of instances of WD& throwing a wobbler when I tried to save the file to disk and export to disk with internal error messages and disappearing files from the dsk and the backup files. Had to go to an earlier time and make the amendments again and this is the one I am having the trouble with. It seems this problem with disappearing files and backups is an inherent fault in WD7. Saving up pennies to afford the next designer package.

Ken

You can link to the PDF file (Website Properties > Link) and then publish via WD 7 and the PDF is published at the same time.

Have you tried this with the smaller file?

Thanks Gary but I don't think that was the problem. Seemed to have solved it by getting the file reduces down to 3mb and clearing out the server files and uploading the whole thing again and it seems to work ok now. Still haven't solved the mystery of the internal error messages when exporting to disk and the disappearing files on the disk and in the backup files.
    One of the great unsolved mysteries of WD I think

Cheers

Ken

Life abounds with unsolved mysteries.