Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,
    I've been away for a couple of day down in Savannah GA. Went with my son to visit Savannah College of Art and Design to look into graduate programs. Very interesting and rather unconventional place.
    Anyway, when I got back I had an E-mail from Mr. Richardson at Xara. I had sent them one of my drawings that I could not Export and that I had crashes with when I tried to clean up and sort colors in the color gallery. He wrote back that the problems I described did not manifest themselve on his system. He did go on to say that most of the save and export error are "associated with poor file/directory structure problems in your %system%TEMP folder (usuallly C:\Windows\TEMP)If this folder is full of 'old' unused .TMP file Windows and most applications become rather unstable."
    Ok, I guess I buy that. My question is that after I ran window cleanup, I looked in the Windows/TEMP folder and still find many file of many different types some dating back 6 months to a year ago. Including a bunch of additional folders. Should any of those be deleted? I am reluctant to mess with the inner workings of Windows. The cleanup did remove quite a bit, but I have run that in the past and still had a problem.
    Anyway I though the rest of you who are having the same problems, would like to know the response.
    John

Hi,
    I've been away for a couple of day down in Savannah GA. Went with my son to visit Savannah College of Art and Design to look into graduate programs. Very interesting and rather unconventional place.
    Anyway, when I got back I had an E-mail from Mr. Richardson at Xara. I had sent them one of my drawings that I could not Export and that I had crashes with when I tried to clean up and sort colors in the color gallery. He wrote back that the problems I described did not manifest themselve on his system. He did go on to say that most of the save and export error are "associated with poor file/directory structure problems in your %system%TEMP folder (usuallly C:\Windows\TEMP)If this folder is full of 'old' unused .TMP file Windows and most applications become rather unstable."
    Ok, I guess I buy that. My question is that after I ran window cleanup, I looked in the Windows/TEMP folder and still find many file of many different types some dating back 6 months to a year ago. Including a bunch of additional folders. Should any of those be deleted? I am reluctant to mess with the inner workings of Windows. The cleanup did remove quite a bit, but I have run that in the past and still had a problem.
    Anyway I though the rest of you who are having the same problems, would like to know the response.
    John

If any program is using the Windows\temp folder as an active repository for information that needs to be maintained it does not deserve to be on your system.

I use various flavours of Windows and I have never had a problem clearing out the contents of the windows\temp folder.

You might get warning messages when you delete files in this folder and below saying something like

"Deleting this file may have an impact on one or more registered programs"

However this message invariably is referring to a file of the same name that has already been copied to the correct location elsewhere on your hard disk.

Always good practise to clear the windows\temp folder out regularly and especially after installing new software.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

I have my doubts about this "explanation" (read other topics about export of files, and the "0" resolution.

Furthermore, I delete my "temp" every evening, together with the "temporary internet files, history etc...

Never had any problems, except with Xara. It is easy to say that it is Windows' faults. Here in Belgium we call that the "Umbrella" system.

Just to close the loop. I cleaned out my Windows/TEMP folder and defraged and tried to export the same drawing I sent to Xara, at the same 100dpi they used with no problems, only I got the same acess violation as before and an emediate crash to desk top. To bad Xara's computers are not more like mine. If they don't believe there is a problem (and none of the problems I have had can be duplicated by them) then they are not going to do anything about them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    John

In the topic "I'm sick of this" by BigFrank, Soquili posted, if not a solution, then still a very remarkable item when exporting .tiffs from the Name Gallery.
    When you click on the black rectangle with the name tif on it, you get a window on which you see that the resolution is standard set to 0 (zero). When you change this to let's say 96, you can export.

What strikes me as very odd is that a/ we all downloaded the same patch after installing from the same CD version. And b/ on everyone's computer this zero resolution setting must be standard. (please everyone check this out)

And this zero resolution causes a floating point error (dividing by zero). So how come that this is not reproducible?

This has got nothing to do with Windows. I personally have little or no problems with my Win98SE. It is true that when you install and uninstall lots of trials and games, you have to clean up your system, or better: restart from zero at regular times. But most of the people on this forum are pro's or semi-pro's, and their PC is more of a workhorse than an entertainment. So their system will be clean enough to avoid trouble in Windows. It is all too easy to blame Windows for everything that goes wrong.

I usually do export to tiff by just selecting the drawing and then do the export command. I can do that and no problem. I was trying to duplicate this error. I cleaned out the temp folder. Then I tried to export the file from the name gallery and I got the error. It crashed Xara X and I restared XaraX and it would not open the file. I restarted the computer and Xarax and I could open the file again. I will make sure I don't use export from the name gallery.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

This particular problem has been identified and fixed on the internal build of Xara X.
    We will be supplying a patch for this problem and some of the others mentioned elsewhere within about 2 weeks.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

I have been exporting from the File menu only. Do I have to go into the name gallery and change something there?
    Confused
    John [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]