Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default aspect ratio of mp4

xara wont accept wmv files so I convert wmv to mp4 h264 which xara will accept and enable it for various browsers..
    so far so good but I can't get the conversion to maintain the correct aspect ratio. Is there a way to change the ratio either before or after conversion?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    David

Default Re: aspect ratio of mp4

what are you using to convert - should be an option for aspect ratios [or 'letterboxing'] if it's a video editor - can't say about changing it in the HTML afterwards, but whether that can be done or not, best to get it right in the first place....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm using Magix video easy 4 to combine some .mov video files taken with a Nikon DSLR
    The output .wmv works well in Windows Media Player before and after converting to h264 mp4
    I've tried two different converters: Any Video Converter and Freemake Video Converter.

When converting I choose to save in the original format but get a narrower video causing distortion on faces etc. The original format from my Nikon is 3:2 and regardless of the choice of aspects I choose they all squeeze up when played in a browser.

right thanks - if it's working in WMP after the conversion then the conversion should be ok, so it looks like it's a web design question only as the HTML can override the settings - hopefully someone will be able to answer before too long
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you Handrawn I thought that might be the case.
    I shall try uploading it directly from Magix Video Easy to the Magix Album.
    Meanwhile if anyone does have any tweaks I can do to the placeholder code then I would welcome it.
    Thanks again
    David

Quote Originally Posted by frightful View Post
    Thank you Handrawn I thought that might be the case.
    I shall try uploading it directly from Magix Video Easy to the Magix Album.
    Meanwhile if anyone does have any tweaks I can do to the placeholder code then I would welcome it.
    Thanks again
    David
    I did upload it and it worked at the correct aspect. Then I realised that there is an export function... this gave me code to put into a placeholder and lo and behold...it works fine.

However, I notice the conversion that Magix made was to Flash which I understand isn't supported by all media browsers. So long term I am back to square one. Meanwhile thank you Magix... for a bit of magic
    David