Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default aspect ratio of mp4

xara wont accept wmv files so I convert wmv to mp4 h264 which xara will accept and enable it for various browsers..
    so far so good but I can't get the conversion to maintain the correct aspect ratio. Is there a way to change the ratio either before or after conversion?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    David

Default Re: aspect ratio of mp4

what are you using to convert - should be an option for aspect ratios [or 'letterboxing'] if it's a video editor - can't say about changing it in the HTML afterwards, but whether that can be done or not, best to get it right in the first place....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm using Magix video easy 4 to combine some .mov video files taken with a Nikon DSLR
    The output .wmv works well in Windows Media Player before and after converting to h264 mp4
    I've tried two different converters: Any Video Converter and Freemake Video Converter.

When converting I choose to save in the original format but get a narrower video causing distortion on faces etc. The original format from my Nikon is 3:2 and regardless of the choice of aspects I choose they all squeeze up when played in a browser.

right thanks - if it's working in WMP after the conversion then the conversion should be ok, so it looks like it's a web design question only as the HTML can override the settings - hopefully someone will be able to answer before too long
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you Handrawn I thought that might be the case.
    I shall try uploading it directly from Magix Video Easy to the Magix Album.
    Meanwhile if anyone does have any tweaks I can do to the placeholder code then I would welcome it.
    Thanks again
    David

Quote Originally Posted by frightful View Post
    Thank you Handrawn I thought that might be the case.
    I shall try uploading it directly from Magix Video Easy to the Magix Album.
    Meanwhile if anyone does have any tweaks I can do to the placeholder code then I would welcome it.
    Thanks again
    David
    I did upload it and it worked at the correct aspect. Then I realised that there is an export function... this gave me code to put into a placeholder and lo and behold...it works fine.

However, I notice the conversion that Magix made was to Flash which I understand isn't supported by all media browsers. So long term I am back to square one. Meanwhile thank you Magix... for a bit of magic
    David

I use iDealshare VideoGo to change video aspect ratio, it can change aspect ratio of mp4 file with or without re encoding.

Step by step guide at http://www.idealshare.net/video-conv...ect-ratio.html

To change aspect ratio of mp4 file without re encoding, you need follow the steps below:

Click the "Profile" drop down button to MP4 from "General Video" category.

Then click "Setting..." button to open the "Advanced Settings" Window. Go to the "Advanced" tab, double click MPEG-4 on the right side of Video Codec to select Copy from the drop down list.

happyfamilygood links not permitted on first post. However this looks to be helpful, so it's up to the mod of this forum to leave it or remove the link.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.