Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Line Width Slider

I'd like a line width slider. Often times, I have to pick a line width visually and the default numbers for thickness jump too wide in increments. I realize I could XaReg to have more custom line widths, but I'd much rather be able to move a slider and have that slider connected to a PAIR of keys to increase and decrease width. What I definitely DON'T WANT is line thickness to be paired to 6 keys, like the eraser tool. I'd also like the eraser tool to have the same pair of keys to increase and decrease width.

Lately I've been trying to do more work with pressure sensitivity on, but I'd really like to have the ability to have the ends of the lines tapered like the stroke profiles. It makes for a more natural drawing.

Also, if the brush/pen engine gets improved I'd like to see detection for pen barrel rotation. I use this constantly in Expression and Photoshop. It would be nice to see Xara with this feature.
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Line Width Slider

Here's my workaround for controlling the width. It works with arrow keys. Not pretty, but it works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LineWidthWorkaround.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	100896
    Sheff
    My Site

+1 for this

One problem I could imagine implementing a slider is what would the maximum width be?
    In numeric entry, there is no limit I think.

Maybe a + and - minus button could work also but a slider would definitely be cool.

Also a node based line width would make a simple solution for custom variable strokes.

Marc

Hover over the optionsbox and use your mousewheel, will do the trick too

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    Hover over the optionsbox and use your mousewheel, will do the trick too
    Exactly and that is why no need for slider

Sheff's real point I think is for for a non-incremental slider - the use of an incremental drop down list is just the best than can currently be achieved in xara

Handrawn is correct. The only way to get a smooth change in line thickness is to modify the list, which is getting ridiculously long, hence the reason I added the screenshot.
    Sheff
    My Site

+1 to this, definitely.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Sheff is right definitely be able to barrel roll object along path for making ribbons, spirals and more.

On the subject of line strokes how about if you could draw a line then hold down a shortcut key and drag on the stroke with the mouse to make the line thicker or thinner, this would do away with having to keep an enormousness list of point sizes. What also may be cool is if while your were drawing thin and thick lines that the line would taper or expand between control points determined by your line width.. Also to if you draw a shape with a stroke you could hold down the shortcut key and drag with the mouse to make the stroke thinner or thicker, so I guess anywhere there is a stroke you can use the shortcut.

+1

Thanks

+2 as I keep running into this...

In this example, I'm making a custom logo from a base bitmap drawing and I need various line widths on my circles. Using the mousewheel trick is simply not smooth enough. Most everything in Xara is great in that you have a choice between sizing by exact numbers and sizing visually - except for line widths.

The method I use (which I hate doing only a little less than trying to pick a pt number) is to scale a copy of my line or circle until the line width is what I want - copy the width (say 4.42pt) - select the original object and paste 4.42pt into the line width box.

If we can scale an object (and as part of that its line width) visually, couldn't we somehow scale the line width without scaling the object?

I'd echo ZamJam's suggestion of a shortcut key and then drag the mouse for a thinner or thicker stroke.

PS let's get it done for X11

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_line_widths.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	103299