Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

He did say that it was designed as a "simpleware" designed for the home user, so hyping it as anything more doesn't seem right to me. As long as it stands out from other boxes in the shelf, I have nothing against flowers.
    IP

BTW Grafixman, glad you are enjoying XaraX!! Maybe when the new version is released you will join the ranks!?!

Or for that matter, how about now??
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

JohnR wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A logo should not be overly complex, just so it can translate between media well. Most of the pretty logo's here are just that, pretty. They are too complex to be used in a newprint ad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree with John more. Some things to think about logo wise:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>How will the logo look as a GIF/PNG? JPEG logos are really not a good option because you enter the realms of JPEG compression fun.
    <LI>How well does it scale? Does it look good at 30 pixels as it does 150 pixels? You'll often find that what looks okay at a large size makes no sense when shrunk down.
    <LI>Can anything be derived from your logo? For example, would it be possible to do an icon in the taskbar from it? Is there an element that will travel well?
    <LI>How will the logo cope with different colour backrounds? White, gray... black? There should be alternatives for making the logo work on other colours. Not for this thread and its purpose, but keep in mind if your logo can be adapted (what could be inverted etc.)[/list]

Just my few thoughts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>On the flower issue... everyone stuck on the flower right away after seeing it on the toolbar. I do not remember charles requiring a flower. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's like the designs that are saying "Xara Photo Editor". People are being swayed by what came before. The flower does appear numerous times as icons, so not necessarily a bad thing, but people shouldn't feel bound by it.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP

another concept. straightforward.
    even simpler than my first submission, this time with the CD that might go with it. an eyecatcher on any shelf, a must-have for any collection.

simple. black. powerful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-picture-editor02.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	3740  
    IP

the xpe > power icon <
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IP

bundera:

your design is very good, maybe the best of all...but in word editor it is too much kombination "E", "O".
    try to do something with it.

I like your design
    miress
    [you see it]
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Picture vs. Photo

The software will primarily be of interest to, and purchased by, regular folks with digital cameras. Although the software can likely be used to edit gifs/jpgs found on the internet, its primary use will be editing the output from digital cameras.

It is my observation that most consumers think of their digital camera output as photographs or photos. I believe it is less common for them to be thought of as 'pictures' as that term is commonly used to describe the crayon drawings the kids did - the ones on the fridge door. I think Xara Ltd. would be more on-target if they named this thing Xara Photo Editor than Xara Picture Editor.

What do others think?

Regards, Ross
    IP

in the manual of my digicam they talk about pictures. not photographs. in chat we say <I'll send you the pic> - an abreviation of the term <picture>. when I think about photographs, masters like Ansel Addams come into my mind. there is a traditional association to black & white.

won't you be able to modify a rendered image with this software? will it be limited to digicam output?

people I've shown some b&w photographs responded with <oh, that's a nice picture> - which always bothered me. so imho <picture> seems to be a more generic term in your language to cover everything that can be processed with the new software. may be more appropriate than the limitation to (digital) photographs.

btw, it's the same situation in spain, france, germany: they have several terms for <photographs>, and as far as I remember they prefer <picture> or <image> instead of <photograph>.
    IP

miress, thanks for the input. logo simplified, icon modified, alternative for the CD cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-picture-editor03.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	10484  
    IP

bundera, your design keeps getting better and better. What I enjoy in this topic is how ideas get passed around and improved upon by one another. Great fun and learning experience.
    Picture/photo... I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision. That's a tough one .
    Richard, I'm still kicking the tires on the trial version. Looking good here. So when is the next version coming up? Buy now or wait?
    IP