Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: February 2014 - Tips and Tricks - Seven Things You Might Have Overlooked in Xara

~Fred

Default Re: February 2014 - Tips and Tricks - Seven Things You Might Have Overlooked in Xara

Never mind my post 11. I found it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sure a lot of Xaraists knows but for me that was overlooked for a while, actually on the weekend became inspirated with this - if someone created a Bevel or a Contour as base, that can be continued in Shape Painter tool. So just selecting the bevel or the contour object and start to paint

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	100968

Painting_with_Contour.xar

And just three small shortcuts in Shape Painter tool
    - keeping ALT and moving the mouse that is painting with a straight line from a fixed start point
    - keeping ALT + CTRL that is painting with a straight line in constrainted angles
    - keeping SHIFT that allows to erase/adjust the painted shape

Clever!

+1

-g

Little bit late this everyone but I was looking over some old tuts. and Tips and Tricks and I found the 3D pawn Gary had included in Feb.14 Tips and Tricks and he suggested to trace it and give it fills, well eventually I have
    I traced the top of the pawn and the base and after trying various fills from linear to Conical, gold, silver, brass etc. it did'nt look right or I could'nt get it right Anyway I realised there was some interesting patterns on the 3D shape so I filled my trace with simple linear gold fills then gave them a flat stained glass trans. so the pattens came through, the result was interesting. Just added a couple of shapes and highlight, what do you think?

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pawn.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	108416  

Hi Stygg—

Nope. It works a little but not enough. What I'd suggest are Blends...let me duck out for a sec' and sketch it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pawn and Blend steps.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	108420

Okay, my version here is off the cuff and totally amateurish, but do you get the point I'm trying to convey? Highlights on a metallic object have to follow the curves of the shape. This can't be done using a Linear gradient, unless you se a distortion plug-in to curve the gradient.

Stygg, you have some absolutely wonderful shading going on in this illustration. You're closer to a finished great piece of Art than you realize.

Just give it another push, eh?

My Best,

Gary

Nice job Stygg. Gary's correct, it's just about finished and something to be proud of. I like all the interaction on these threads. Lots of good information.

Gary, Great tip. Some time it's just a little highlight or reflection that makes all the difference. Nice use of the blend tool. I need to utilize that tool more.

I used blends and added shapes in this one, not to successful I think, I feel a request coming on for a tut. on blends, shades and transparencies as I think the three seem to go hand in hand when applied to curved shapes.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pawn.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	108478  

Stygg—

That is totally beautiful, you got your work behind you, man, in more ways than one!

I had to zoom in to see all the great detail work.

You did almost exactly what i tried to do years ago with version 4 or something: you "build up" your photorealistic texture using a combination of gradient fills and stepped transparency shapes.

Consider yourself "accomplished" :)

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 28 June 2015 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks for that Gary, it was your "just give it another push, eh?" in #36 plus your quick drawing. Learnt a good deal from that push

Stygg