Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Challenge

Default A Challenge

If you visit Xara's site at HERE they have a design for the box of XaraWebstyle (I think all the new products have the same style now) but there is an interesting shape within these designs. I managed to recreate it but I had to cheat and use Xara3D for part of it. The shapes are similar to an angled gear. See my attachment. The challenge is can anyone think of a way of producing this shape in XaraX alone.
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final_image.gif 
Views:	519 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	10278  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If you visit Xara's site at HERE they have a design for the box of XaraWebstyle (I think all the new products have the same style now) but there is an interesting shape within these designs. I managed to recreate it but I had to cheat and use Xara3D for part of it. The shapes are similar to an angled gear. See my attachment. The challenge is can anyone think of a way of producing this shape in XaraX alone.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

I'm not sure if it's close enough but perhaps more tweaking with the perspective tool will get the desired result.

--
    Graeme
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Graeme

Realy excelent Graeme ;-)
    I have tought an other way, but results are not perfects :

Renaud,

That's a good way to do it!

It certainly looks closer to the real one than my one does [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

I'm impressed.
    Graeme: I must admit I tried the exact method, but unfortunatly it still gives a flat instead of a circular pyramid shape. (I've posted your final result below)
    Renaud: Your method is one I'd never think of using! You've got the raised centre but there's still a slight distortion in the lines, but it's very close.
    I wonder if it can be done in Xara alone?
    Thankyou both for the feedback, it's quite a challenge.
    Egg

Name:	!renauld.gif 
Views:	450 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	9232  
    Egg

If you look closer you'll see that my shapes are not perfects... they would nead some work on the dash pattern to make each line thiner.

But you can control colors along the blend, and for exemple build something like this :

I was messing around with the transparent gif's I'd exported from Xara3D and came up with this fantasy island.
    Egg

Name:	fantasy_island.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	176  
    Egg

Best I could do, using a brush, and perspective mold. Interesting excercise.

Arnold

Name:	challenge.gif 
Views:	432 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	3463  

You should title it "Isle of Xara" - geddit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

--
    Graeme
    Graeme