Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rotating Banner Ads?

I'm looking for a rotating banner ad widget for my website. Noticed the google adsense widgets, but, don't want to go through google - would rather add my own ads as needed. Also looked at the photoshow slider/galleries/etc, and they don't quite do what I want and have text boxes and numbered slide icons that I also don't want on my webpage.

Would appreciate any input that can help me put a rotating banner ad in my website.

Default Re: Rotating Banner Ads?

Without an example of what you're trying to achieve it's difficult to say exactly the best root.

However rotating suggests animation? You can create animated Gif files using Xara or create even better animated Flash files as swf files. swf files however are going out of use due to Apple iPhones not supporting them but you can get around this using Google Swiffy to convert Xara generated swf's into html5 files.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Without an example of what you're trying to achieve it's difficult to say exactly the best root.

However rotating suggests animation? You can create animated Gif files using Xara or create even better animated Flash files as swf files. swf files however are going out of use due to Apple iPhones not supporting them but you can get around this using Google Swiffy to convert Xara generated swf's into html5 files.
    ================================================== ================================================== ===========

Thank you for the reply. I'm a brand-spanking new user to Web Designer, so, am learning the ropes. Of course, I got the software because I want to run a business, not spend my time doing web design and the Xara product comes close to meeting this need.

Basically, I'm wanting something that looks like the included photo sliders, but, without all the text and icons for each photo being displayed. I envision putting an ad in place of the photo, size it as a small banner across the top of my website and let it cycle through the ads. The sliders have the ability to add or subtract photos, so, I can add and subtract ads as the number of paying advertisers fluctuates. I'm not concerned that the slider always starts with photo #1, then #2 ..., that may actually be a benefit to charge more for the upfront positions. I'm assuming that once I've got a working widget I can either repeat that same widget on each page, or customize the widget for each page - this lets me put more advertisers in the website without bundling all ads on each page.

I can learn to make Animated gifs, but, don't know much about designing them. If I have an advertiser drop out during a month then does that mean I will need to redesign the animated gif each time I add/drop an advertiser? I think I already know the answer to that question. Thus, the photo slider sounds like a great solution, but, as I'd indicated, it's got stuff I haven't found out how to remove from the photo show, yet.

I'm assuming there's an already bundled xara tutorial on making animated gifs? I haven't run across it yet, but, there's lots of xara resources out there that I still haven't digested.

I hope this gives you a better idea of that I'm looking for. Please continue to feed me and I'll digest what I can.
    Last edited by toejam; 30 January 2015 at 10:22 PM.

Forgot to add that it would be nice if a click on the ad/photo would open a new window/tab to the advertisers website.

Hi toejam, from your reply it sounds like you don't want a rotating banner (as in spinning around it's vertical axis) That's why I asked for an example of what you're after A link to a webpage containing what you require would be the best way for members to understand your requirements and respond positively.

Having said that, you don't require animation, no rotation. Just a photo slider with embedded links. That shouldn't be hard to achieve, but please supply an example site of what you require, it makes it so much easier
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The rotation is not a rotating of the text/image, but, a rotation in line-up of displaying the text/image. It's common on webpages with ads, you visit one time and get one ad, visit again and get a different ad. In my example, I'm simply wanting to rotate through several ads while a page is loaded. If the user clicks on the ad it should open a new window/tab to that advertisers website. The xara photo sliders have most of the functionality I'd like to use, but, I need to customize one so it doesn't display the big text box and the photo number icons, as well as linking to a different website when the photo is clicked on.

I've attached a mock-up that has a banner at the top of my pages. This isn't exactly what I want, but, gives you an idea of where I'm going. I didn't spend much time making the photos pretty, so, try to look past the terrible photos.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi toejam

You may find this useful: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...highlight=nivo

Quote Originally Posted by nobbyy View Post
    Hi toejam

You may find this useful: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...highlight=nivo
    It's a nice start, got rid of the buttons below the photos. I'd still like to get rid of the text box totally. You can setup a weblink when someone clicks on the image, but, don't have the option to open the link in a new window/tab. Really like the concept and thought process of how to eliminate the darn slide # buttons/icons.

If you go into the slide set and delete the text on the bottom does the text box not disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by toejam View Post
    It's a nice start, got rid of the buttons below the photos. I'd still like to get rid of the text box totally. You can setup a weblink when someone clicks on the image, but, don't have the option to open the link in a new window/tab. Really like the concept and thought process of how to eliminate the darn slide # buttons/icons.
    Answered in this Post you raised: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...181#post521181.

You can only add a hyperlink against the Widget Placeholder, not the individual image.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat