Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Upgrading from Xara X ?

Hello all, I've been using Xara X 1.0d since 2001, managed to install it on a succession of computers from the CD since then but now I've bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1 I think it's time to treat myself to a new version.

I use Xara mostly for web graphics, so I need vector graphics and the ability to export the full range of web-friendly images as well as animated GIFs. Could somebody tell me please, would Photo & Graphic Designer 9 be the nearest equivalent of the current product range, and will it read my old .xar files?

TIA

Mike

Default Re: Upgrading from Xara X ?

Well I use Xara Designer Pro 9, and I upgraded from Xara Xtreme Pro 4 (having had Xara X originally, as well). Files created in Xara X and XX4 open fine in XDP9, XDP9 is a more robust version (the full flagship product) that Xara Graphic & Designer 9 is a subset of tools from the full program. I'm sure XG&D9 will do what you are asking for, but consider that the full program of XDP9 has a lot more web design features, that XG&D9 doesn't include - however, it will let you create optimized web graphics in GIF, JPG, PNG formats.

xara X does not work well on windows 8.1 - I know because I installed it a week or so ago to check a legacy plugin function

the UI for example: some buttons [eg on the galleries] did not display their text, difficult to work with

so an upgrade is well overdue

photo and graphics designer will have all the current equivalent functions to xara x - but there have been some significant changes to the workspace in the intervening decade-plus as you might imagine, and so you will need to relearn some of the ways of doing things

Thanks Gamerprinter, I don't need any web design features so I think I'll download the trial of XG&D9 to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    xara X does not work well on windows 8.1 - I know because I installed it a week or so ago to check a legacy plugin function

the UI for example: some buttons [eg on the galleries] did not display their text, difficult to work with

so an upgrade is well overdue

photo and graphics designer will have all the current equivalent functions to xara x - but there have been some significant changes to the workspace in the intervening decade-plus as you might imagine, and so you will need to relearn some of the ways of doing things
    Thanks handrawn, I've had a look at the trial version and apart from the styling of the UI it looks familiar and opened some old files including animated GIFs, so I'll buy this one for the new laptop.