Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Snowmobile Wrap Template help

Hi, I'm kind of new to Illustrator. I bought a template for a snowmobile wrap and how the template works is that its pre-cut panels already to size. I attached a photo to give you guys an idea of what I'm talking about. But what I'm asking is that after I have my design laid over the top of the template and after I use a clipping mask, I still need to pull each panel apart to get it set up to fit in the width of the printer/cut lines on the panels. But when I use the mask it won't let me pull each panel apart. I also tried just cropping it, but that cuts all my design/template into pieces. Is there a way to separate each panel while also leaving the design with it?

I'm sorry if I'm not clear I just can't think of a better way to put it.

Thanks in advance!
    Zach
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sled Template.jpg 
Views:	1286 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	100634  
    IP

Default Re: Snowmobile Wrap Template help

As you say clipping mask wouldn't work. Are your graphics that you mentioned vector? if they are I would do the following:
    Remove your clipping mask. Once done with your template selected check to see if there are any clipping masks/compound objects and if they stop you selecting individual areas then you will need to release them. This is all done through the Object menu. Also you might have to check if objects are grouped and un-group them.
    If you are going to make a wrap of the these are these panels big enough to allow the tech. guy to trim them? cos if not you will need to use the Pen Tool to go around the outside of each panel or you could go the Offset Line command to achieve the same effect. I would allow at least 1"/25mm for each panel.

If your graphics are bitmap then you could make them a symbol on a new layer then map your graphic to each panel. This is where it gets difficult as you graphic has to merge from one panel to the other to make up the overall photo. If you not happy doing this why not leave this to the print shop to do. If your graphic is vector then its far easier as you use the Pathfinder to slice up the vector graphic using the Trim command.
    Hope that helps but if your not sure let the print shop do the work as if your not happy with their work you have a come back till they get it right. Have done quite a few for vans and some boats but their easy and don't have the same number of panels as a skidoo's.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP