Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Any precautions required?

My system has crashed, will format it and re-install Xara Web Designer 9 Premium which I purchased/installed 3 days back. Do I have to take any precautions to successfully re-install it on the same machine?

Default Re: Any precautions required?

don't reinstall web designer until you are happy with the windows reinstall - you are limited to the number of reactivations you can make without contacting xara ltd for an increase [via support on their website]

to be fair they are usually pretty quick to respond, but its something to be aware of - also if you do something afterwards that affects the hardware, eg repartition a hard drive, you will probably need to reactivate again, and it all counts....

Why do you need to reinstall Windows, crashes can be recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    Why do you need to reinstall Windows, crashes can be recovered.
    Because I'm using Windows Vista. Its very vulnerable to threats. Will install Windows 7.

and besides, recovery from crashes is not always straight forward [yes, even in windows 8/8.1] it all depends what happened, and so you can't even assume it will be quicker - clean images of an OS are often a good starting point, still need to reinstall the software though...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    and besides, recovery from crashes is not always straight forward [yes, even in windows 8/8.1] it all depends what happened, and so you can't even assume it will be quicker - clean images of an OS are often a good starting point, still need to reinstall the software though...
    How can I do that? Moreover, the actual reason is that my Norton keeps shutting down all browsers due to some 'threat.' After 2 days of scanning and diagnosing it finally got resolved but I backed up my entire data just to be safe. Now that I have a back-up of it, I might as well format my computer and install the new software.

Firstly there may be a way to do it in windows 7/8.1 but I haven't used native windows backup for 10 year or more
    In my experience windows restore points by and large don't. Especially when you really need them; perhaps they were designed by bankers...

I use third party: 'Acronis True Image' - this is not a free program, and there is a learning curve - free image programs exist, the only one I would refer anyone to is 'easeus todo backup free' which you can google

I understand that you can do it in Norton, but I have never used that program for such things either, or to be honest anything other than when helping others who were stuck using it because 'it came with the computer' [hummmm.... thinks]

anyhow pretty siimple principle - you get the OS build up and running and activated and then you make a 'full' image of the partition, so that you can restore it to that percise point if the OS gets screwed by reinstalling the complete partition - because it replaces everything on your partition you loose eveything that is there when you overwrite, which is therefore of no use whatsoever for data backup - but it saves a lot of time for a clean install - you can of course use these programs for data backup, but that's a separate routine

if like me you run at least one computer 'out in the wild' for one reason or another then it becomes a matter of routine to go back to the image to reset the test-bed OS