Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Drop Cap February 2014

The letter for this month is E

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nsE.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	100473 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	100472

More to follow
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: Drop Cap February 2014

Carrying on from where I left off in January, another floral font, Petitfleur, which also has a snowy background.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1.png 
Views:	296 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	100475  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I like those Bob. The floral and very ornate ones seem to be what I like best.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Here are a couple more, the second one I'm not sure if I like or not, anyway it was made using two fonts leafy glade and leafy shade plus some other fooling around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E with leaves.png 
Views:	341 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	100564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new E.png 
Views:	334 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	100565
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

I like the second one, Larry. Perhaps the green/yellow purple combination is a tad cycledelic but it's nice.
    I had to use Guardian Egyptian Headline Bold (£, $, €) at some stage during the Drop Cap Challenge. It's extremely pricey at $2,000.00 for the Guardian collection, but I managed to convince myself that $50.00 wasn't too much for the single font. I think the uppercase "E" is a masterpiece.
    Here I used just the Contour Tool, set to inner contour at 100 steps. I converted the result to editable shapes and ungrouped it all. I selected the innermost contour and coloured it white. This innermost contour had 4 separate areas, which I individually sliced so that I could apply 4 different feathering settings to get the highlights, to make the result resemble old gold (or caramel, if you prefer).
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2.png 
Views:	361 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	100573  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Good work Bob. Interesting how you went about doing that one. Man O Man that was a pricy font, I hope you get good use out of it and it pays off in the long run. While I have bought a few fonts I always feel guilty because being retired I just do this for fun. Thank you for your comment about mine, I can't help but wonder if the color combinations should have been different particularly the darkest color. Oh well that's how we learn, at least I do, try and try again, some work and some don't work so well.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509