Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Eye: Window to the Soul

Here is a quick sketch I drew on the day of purchase of a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, WiFi 32GB running Autodesk Sketchbook Pro for Android and the supplied stylus. I only used three tools: airbrush, pencil for iris detail, and noisy brush for skin texture and clumpy mascara. So let's see your best digital eye. Human please, no animals.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eye3.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	100307

Default Re: The Eye: Window to the Soul

It always helps if you can draw (I never could). Beautiful realism.

I left out some detail in the first image....the void under the upper eyelid. Now you can see more detail at the top of the iris and the reflection of the upper eyelashes on the eyeball. This was not at all difficult as there was no creativity involved and only a few tools were required. There really are thin muscle strands in the iris which contract to dilate the pupil.... this is not a random shading technique. Also note how some light is diffusing through the upper eyelid onto the eyeball.

Name:	Eye5.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	100314
    Detail under the upper eyelid added.

A quick question. Was the eye the full size of your drawing area on the tablet?
    Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    A quick question. Was the eye the full size of your drawing area on the tablet?
    Acorn
    The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition as an improved screen res of 2560x1600, over the Note 3 and regular Note 10.1. Make sure you buy the right version. The colors are more brillaint than on my Surface2Pro (1920x1080). The eye sketch was drawn at 1280x800 and 3 layers, most of the time filling the screen or slightly zoomed out to see the edges of the total image. The uploaded image is only 800x500. I only had to zoom in a few times for the iris detail. The pinch touch zooming/scrolling works great. I never felt like the tablet was too small. If you lay it flat, it is so slim that your hand can rest on the table if needed. The super slim and light stylus seemed too small at first, but in actual use it becomes natural and you don't focus on it, you can just draw. The stylus has a side button which I don't use yet, I am not sure about an eraser end. The stylus-to-cursor registration is much better than the Surface2Pro. There is a bigger Galaxay Note 12.2 on the way with the same 2560x1600 screen resolution that might be handier for a workstation, but then you would would lose some of the portability factor and one handed web surfing. The 10.1 is very light and slim and all self-contained. The Surface2Pro is more of a full on computer and you could write a book with it with the accessory mouse and keyboard.

Here are some of the image size options in Sketchbook Pro for Android on this tablet:
    1280x800 18 layers
    1920x1080 11 layers
    2560x1600 6 layers
    2560x2560 3 layers

A dish too rich for me. I'll have to dream.
    Presently, it is 1680 x 1050, so the iris would be close to 10 inches across.

A tad scary.

Acorn

This one is all vector and all Xara Extreme...

HP G60 notebook, 13 yr old mouse
    ---Maya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eye_mayas_sm.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	100358  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

An updated one -- extra highlight suggested...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eye_mayas2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	100361  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

That looks great! My only suggestion is that the eyelashes get longer and thicker as you go laterally.

Name:	BlueEye7.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	100362
    I added more detail to the tear duct area, added some color to the lids, and made the pupil and iris more concentric.

Thanks!
    As my own lashes don't follow the profile you mention (not everyone's does), I'll leave them as is for this eye.
    -Mark Twain