Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Smile 2014 January 31 -- Chinese New Year of the Horse

This is the Year of the Horse according to the Chinese zodiac. The forecast is for a healthy and prosperous year for us, although those born under a horse year should be extra careful with finances. According to wikipedia info below:

"25 January 1906 - 12 February 1907: Fire Horse
    11 February 1918 - 31 January 1919: Earth Horse
    30 January 1930 - 16 February 1931: Metal Horse
    15 February 1942 - 4 February 1943: Water Horse
    3 February 1954 - 23 February 1955: Wood Horse
    21 January 1966 - 8 February 1967: Fire Horse
    7 February 1978 - 27 January 1979: Earth Horse
    27 January 1990 - 14 February 1991: Metal Horse
    12 February 2002 - 31 January 2003: Water Horse
    31 January 2014 - 18 February 2015: (yang) Wood Horse
    17 February 2026 - 5 February 2027: Fire Horse
    4 February 2038 - 23 January 2039: Earth Horse
    The "Chinese zodiac" consists of a twelve-year cycle, each year being associated with
    a certain creature. The seventh in the cycle is the Horse. One account is that the
    order of the beings-of-the-year is due to their order in completing a contest of
    racing across a river, in the so-called Great Race: the race being to determine which
    creatures, in which order, would be the namesakes of the twelve-year cycle. The race
    was run, and swum, the finishing line being across a great river. The rat and the ox
    crossed easily enough (the rat hitchhiking on the ox's back). Those powerful swimmers,
    tiger and dragon had little problem; nor did rabbit, with a little help from the
    dragon. The horse, an excellent runner; but, not as good of a swimmer, would have been
    next -- but, the snake having crossed the river by stowing away on horse's hoof, doing
    a sudden dismount, gained the finish line, just in front of the startled horse. Thus,
    it is said, despite the animal's general swiftness, the horse finished the race only
    in the rank of the seventh position.
    Horses are an important motif in Chinese mythology. There are many myths about the
    horse or horses, or horse-like beings, including the pony. Chinese mythology refers to
    those myths found in the historical geographic area of China. This includes myths
    in Chinese and other languages, as transmitted by Han Chinese as well as other ethnic
    groups (of which fifty-six are officially recognized by the current administration of
    China, according to Lihui Yang, 2005:4). There are various motifs of horses in Chinese
    mythology. In some cases the focus is on a horse or horses as the protagonist of the
    action, in other cases they appear in a supporting role, sometimes as the locomotive
    power propelling a chariot and its occupant(s). According to a cyclical Chinese
    calendar system, the time period of 31 January 2014 - 18 February 2015 falls under the
    category of the (yang) Wood Horse."

Here's a quick Xara design on the theme. Add your own Year of the Horse design, if you'd like, to this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014yearofhorse.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	100449  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Default Re: 2014 January 31 -- Chinese New Year of the Horse

I found a picture in the public domain of a wonderful spirited Chinese horse statue and couldn't resist trying to do a general Xara rendition based on it also...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014chinesehorse.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	100450  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I like your idea for this Maya. This might make a good challenge. I myself sppear to be a "water horse". I just don't know when I can do anything with it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Smile Re: 2014 January 31 -- Chinese New Year of the Horse

If you get an idea and time to post a design, Larry, that would be great -- there's all year!
    -Mark Twain

Ah, since I'm half Japanese, I am well aware of my animal symbol, as well as everyone else in my family. I'm a rabbit (hare), my sister is a dragon, my father is a monkey, and my mother, a rat (she's always hated that!)

Happy New Year! That's cool about the animal symbols, I had to look mine up and I'm a fire rooster! I love Asian art and culture. My dad and mom filled the family home with it and I've acquired a good deal of it too.
    -Mark Twain

Yeah I am a wood dragon, so I have to be carefull with the firebreathing. ;o)
    be aware, not to become a ware.

That's funny! My mom is a fire dragon and all I will say is at the age of 98 she's still a force to be reckoned with!
    -Mark Twain