Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Trim text outside of path?

I have a path which has txt overlpping it. I am trying to trim any text that is inside the path and delete anything on the outside. I have tried selecting all text and right clicking and selecting "create outlines" followed by trying to use the pathfinder to subtract text from it but it's just not doing what I need it to do. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Ive attached a small segment of my document. The red line is the bath and the blue is the text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hlp.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	100454  
    IP

Default Re: Trim text outside of path?

Sorry but your picture didn't clarify anything for me.
    If you have a path (or bath!) and a text block, select both, right-click and pick Combine Shapes > Slice Shapes.
    You then delete the part you don't need.
    The remaining text is not longer editable will render as an image when published, so keep a copy of the path and text block off-page.

Acorn
    IP

I think Acorn has given you a reply for Xara Designer rather than Adobe Illustrator

Much depends how you made the drawing.. but in principle what you need is the closed path above the text - use clipping mask/make to clip the text - the path will disappear so you need a copy [on a layer above say]

That's one way anyhow...
    IP

Like handrawn states there are many ways to do this: Pathfinder Tool, Scissors, Knife, and a line. All of these methods require the text to be a compound shape. Here is a info page if you want to use the Pathfinder Tool which gives info on each area of this tool: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...5-illustr.html

The best way which would leave the text still editable is to use the "Clipping Mask" and for more info look here: http://99designs.com/designer-blog/2...compound-path/
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Sorry I am struggling!

Here is a clearer picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPL.png 
Views:	255 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	100549

I want to trim all the text (converted to outline) outside of the red path (which is a closed path). The text is on a seperate layer to the path.
    IP

how about you post up an illustrator file with the text and path and we can get a better idea of what it is you want
    IP

Select all the words. Convert to curves. This makes the entirety a single compound path.

If it is curves already, use the Create Compound Path menu selection.

Place the building outline (which itself needs to be a single, closed path) underneath the words.

Use the Pathfinder, Minus Front.

Name:	capture-001088.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	100550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001087.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	100551  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001086.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	100552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001085.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	100553  

IP

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Select all the words. Convert to curves. This makes the entirety a single compound path.

If it is curves already, use the Create Compound Path menu selection.

Place the building outline (which itself needs to be a single, closed path) underneath the words.

Use the Pathfinder, Minus Front.
    Thank you so much, that worked a treat!

I am a complete begginer when it comes to Illustrator. To save me creating another thread can anyone tell me what these grey lines are on my artboard? When I am exporting my drawing it is only exporting the section between these lines!

Name:	HEL[.png 
Views:	237 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	100554  
    IP

That looks like crop marks. Make your art board the size of your drawing. Look at the bottom of the Object menu...at least from memory that is where it is. The menu selection will be Art board and its sub menu will be to automatically make the art board the size of the art. You can also use the art board tool to manually resize the art board.
    IP