Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: January 2014 Video Tutorial : Drawing Plastic and Chrome What's the Diff?

DONE!

Default Re: January 2014 Video Tutorial : Drawing Plastic and Chrome What's the Diff?

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    DONE!
    Sorry I drove you mad with that pinball Gary but just had to get it right, so with that here's my final plastic spheres and that's it - for now only kidding

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	445.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	100692  

I think you're the one who thought I have infinite patience, stygg, so no, I'm quite the opposite of angry or frustrated today. Besides, it's Valentine's day. Your approach, one of diligence and stick-to-it-tiveness, always pays off and this work is no exception.

I think the green sphere is worthy of your gallery, stygg. There's nothing wrong with the chrome; it's just my personal taste that the green sphere might not be photorealistically perfect, but it's a very handsome piece, very.

A keeper, put it on a white background, buy an expensive frame, hang it!

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 14 February 2014 at 03:50 PM.

No spheres today Gary I have made an attempt at the vase you posted, studies in plastic, my attempt not very good but pleased I managed to get close as I could, no excuses here but it would have been an asset if I had
    upgraded to PG&D9, the shape and eraser tool would have saved a lot of work Must upgrade soon.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	100779  

Absolutely nothing to apologize for, Stygg!

That is a wonderful rendition and you should post it on your gallery!

You had me fooled at first, because I know that scene, and understand what went into the reflections. And evidently, you do now, too!

I thought you'd posted my work!

Salut, man, salut!

-g

Thank you for the very kind comments Gary, will attempt one of the other shapes in the Studies in Plastic just as soon as I finish the Pie Chart which I never get to finish, to busy looking at the great reflections in the rest of the images in Plastic, they are beautiful and if I could accomplish doing the Apple and the Chess piece, I'd be well pleased

Stygg

Keep in mind that these visualizations in the zip file are:

1.) Intended to be studies, not traced over or anything because then the artist doesn't learn anything.

2.) A lot easier for me to model and render than it is to just sit down in front of Xara and do this stuff. I have physically-based photometrics doing work for me when I render. To learn to pull this sort of inspired guesswork is a real talent, and one I'm encouraging all to develop, because reflections can be simple to draw, and they can also look like a cartoon!

I have unflagging admiration for Ron Duke's work, and Javier Vila's marvelous transparency works, because these people are creating effects mostly straight out of their imagination, fortified with years of studying real life scenes and why we see what they do.

I recommend that we all drink in this stuff, so it becomes part of our talent set that we can draw upon (pun intended) in the future!

My Best,

Gary

Stygg several times looking back to your image that is really superb. As I understand nothing bitmap in that, the background looks your fractal style and the base also some vector metal? That vase also looking somehow very real, it took me thinking for a while, having the impression that it is not perfect symmetrical, but that can be just from the playing of the lights and even that adds something to its reality

Thanks for comments Csehz, using just the shape tool and line tool took a while to get the reflections, as I said to Gary, if I had had the new shape/eraser tool, I might have done it better. The whole point though was to see if I could create these reflections like the original and hopefully learn how to achieve them and draw on the experience for future reflection visualizations of my own, if, with a big if, I have the imagination! You are also right that it is not symmetrical, I realized that looking at it myself but as I kept putting the reflections in the more it looked right! The background is fractal and one I was going to use, scaled down, as fungi on a pond

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    if, with a big if, I have the imagination!
    Do not worry I neither have imagination

But seriously, that symmetrical or not question is really interesting, for me it takes the first impression that something is not okay with that vase, after just looking and looking and still looking that where So it makes the picture magical finally, I think you should not touch it anymore, that is maybe ready as it is