Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Default Re: January 2014 Video Tutorial : Drawing Plastic and Chrome What's the Diff?

You hit the bullseye, dead center, stygg.

Mission accomplish! Post it in your gallery now!

-g

Default Re: January 2014 Video Tutorial : Drawing Plastic and Chrome What's the Diff?

Actually, Larry hit upon a related topic when he mentioned simplifying a text character to reveal control points.

I don't know if any of you have ever tried to import an EPS vector file, not an AI Illustrator file or a PDF, but an EPS that contains only vector info. I've attached a Xara file that contains what appears to be three hexagons, but they are not shapes...but instead they are a line, and this used to be a perennial problem between me and clients: EPS allows open paths to contain fills, unlike Xara. When Dover Publications offers EPS files, same problem. Illustrator doesn't mind filling and open path, but it tends to flummox Xara users.

So how do you make a shape out of a line? It's not as simple as closing the line, because a line can have hundreds of control popints...will you spend hours finding the control points needed to close it?

You do what Larry suggested: you put a square or a circle right on the colored area of the EPS design, select both and then choose Arrange>Combine Shapes>Add Shapes.

The result is a shape, not a line, that you can now work with.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

I must be missing something here Gare. I opened the file and broke the shapes and guess what, they were shapes with no line. I could color each of them and put a line around each. Even unbroken I could add a line, but it put it around each hex. Hellllllllllp! what am I doing wrong here.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I got the same result as you Larry by breaking the shapes first got shapes, so I undid all and used the rectangle method and that worked just the same so it looks like you can use both methods just as you can with text.

Stygg

Thanks Stygg. I'll have to look at that again in case I committed a a fopa.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Attachment 100847

I'm sure everyone on Earth has seen this painting, but I'd only suggest you use it for inspiration drawing your background for the apple. What Magritte did, in addition to surrealism, is he used some very attractive colours behind the green apple.

Don't bother drawing the bloke.

-g
    Ever since Gary posted the Magritte painting it fascinated me because I have no idea what it's saying or depicting, perhaps nothing. So being a not well up on art bloke, I thought I'd put my slant on it depicting something simple and carrying on the Apple on the wall theme.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	101783  

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    Ever since Gary posted the Magritte painting it fascinated me because I have no idea what it's saying or depicting, perhaps nothing. So being a not well up on art bloke, I thought I'd put my slant on it depicting something simple and carrying on the Apple on the wall theme.

Stygg
    I still don't. But come to think of it I didn't understand SD's melting clocks either.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Just read up on surrealism Larry, it's art from the sub-consciousness or dreams of a weird or sexual nature. See what I can dream up tonight then

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    ...dreams of a weird or sexual nature. See what I can dream up tonight then

Stygg
    Stygg? For the sake of tg, please do your dreaming at night, then, and do NOT take an afternoon nap and then log in.

P.S. I think your parody of the iconic Reneé Magritte painting is hysterical! So William Tell actually was supposed to aim for the head!?

Well if your going to put an apple in your mouth and hope the archer can hit it with his arrow then your asking for trouble Seriously though, I did enjoy making the background as for an artist, I'm certainly not. These matchsticks are hurting my eyelids

Stygg