Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to change default shadow color?

My shadow color defaults to red, yuk!

Every time I want a shadow it is a long painful process. Click Shadow Icon > magnify to 500% > Set transparency to 0 > drag black color to reset shadow > set magnify to 100% > reset transparency back to where it was.

There has to be a better way! Why not just right click to bring up the shadow properties????

Default Re: How to change default shadow color?

I think I accidentally changed the drop shadow to red that stuck as default in XXP4. So when I select shadow, I just select a different shadow type, like halo shadow instead of drop shadow. Then I select drop shadow and the color is the standard black default color. As long as your other shadows are not red, select them instead, once applied to your shape, change to drop shadow and it not red. Understand?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

My shadows are black. Only the Glow shadow defaults as red. So I do as Gameprinter does, I select a wall or drop shadow and then select the glow to get a black glow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Welcome to TalkGraphics loupet

Are you referring to your glow shadow or all shadows?

I guess I do it a little different. My glow shadow is red also, so what I do is drag it out so I can get to it, control click on the shadow then I can change to any color I want then move it back to the size I want. Cntrl clicking on the shadow works to select and change the color of all shadows. As for changing the default color of the glow shadow, I don't know if there is a way.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

My assumption was that because it's a 'Glow' shadow, it would be something other than black.

And as others have said, sometimes I select the 'Wall shadow' first and then the 'Glow' shadow, if I want it to be black.
    Or, at other times, I apply the 'Glow' shadow, move the mouse away from the object and then slowly move it back to it until I get the cross-hairs with the arrows, and I then click to select the shadow. Now change it to what ever colour you like.
    (That explanation might look long-winded, but it's quite easy to do.)

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by loupet View Post
    My shadow color defaults to red, yuk!

Every time I want a shadow it is a long painful process. Click Shadow Icon > magnify to 500% > Set transparency to 0 > drag black color to reset shadow > set magnify to 100% > reset transparency back to where it was.

There has to be a better way! Why not just right click to bring up the shadow properties????
    I hover the mouse over the object and hold down the ALT key and then left-click [which toggles between selecting the object or it's shadow] - can then change the colour [edit - by clicking on the colourbar for example], no need to zoom or change transparency as a matter of course

this works with XDPX [I have some registry tweaks in place, so I don't guarantee it's default behaviour, but you can try it...]

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I hover the mouse over the object and hold down the ALT key and then left-click [which toggles between selecting the object or it's shadow] - can then change the colour [edit - by clicking on the colourbar for example], no need to zoom or change transparency as a matter of course

this works with XDPX [I have some registry tweaks in place, so I don't guarantee it's default behaviour, but you can try it...]
    Ypu. That works very well indeed. Excellent tip.

Works in XDPX and XDPX9 and in Photo & Graphic Designer 9.
    I don't have any other versions installed, but I assume that this has always been possible.

as I recall, using the ALT key to 'select under' and therefore toggle down an object stack has been around for quite a while...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    as I recall, using the ALT key to 'select under' and therefore toggle down an object stack has been around for quite a while...
    I never really thought of the shadow being as 'under'. If you know what I mean?
    But, when I am trying shadows, this will make things a lot easier, for me.