Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book Cover

Default Re: Book Cover

Here's what's odd.

The book is being published through CreateSpace. CreateSpace has an online checker that uploads your PDF file, checks the number of pages, paper selection, etc. and then creates an on-line soft proof. It also flags production problems.

If I preview the PDF document in Acrobat and select View - Two Page View, the pages are reversed and the numbers go odd > even. But using the online soft proof feature, the page order and page numbers are correct.

IOW, this might be the answer. Except, after formatting 175 pages, it ain't going to happen with this book.

Internally, PDFs have an absolute page number. Just removing a page (front, back somewhere between) doesn't change that.

In any case, try the attached. It's been a while since I sent something to CS and so don't remember. But can't you test without committing even if it passes the checks?

OH. And Acrobat's 2-page page view should come out correct...but it's the reader spread that's important.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Heh heh. Probably would want a 6" x 9" to test anyway...

numbered_spreads-2.xar

It is a bit of a process to test. But I take your point. And this looks like it will work. For my next book project.

BTW, a little on repeating elements.

In the configuration of the two XAP documents attached to this thread.

When you you have a document set up like these are, it helps to make your repeating elements on the first spread. Everything on the left page of the spread will replicate on the even numbered (left-hand) pages. Likewise, everything on the odd numbered (right-hand) pages of the spread will replicate on the odd numbered pages.

The caveat is that both handed pages will replicate on the beginning single page (and if present) on the ending single page. So some elements will need deleted from those page(s) as appropriate. Just choose to delete on that page only.

I started a new topic in the Xara Graphics Chat forum http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...672#post497672 to further this discussion of book publishing in Designer Pro X9 and Page & Layout Designer 9.

The only way we are going to get any of these publishing text enhancement features added is for any of you who have an interest in publishing a book, to participate.

So, participate already.

Build it and they will come...

A further encouragement to others. If I, someone who is probably opposed to adding and expanding long document handling in Xara products, can contribute to seeing it become more useful, those of you who do documents from multi-page brochures to books and everything in between should also.

Mike

That's one good looking cover, Gary.