Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you remove the background from jpg?

When transferring a logo for export...how do you get just the logo with no background?

Customer request that I 'unlock the jpeg'.

Default Re: How do you remove the background from jpg?

Is this a vector drawing you've made for the logo? In what application?

JPG does not support transparency. In an Xara product, export a 32-bit PNG instead. In the Export Options dialog, make sure it says True Color + Alpha.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Is this a vector drawing you've made for the logo? In what application?

JPG does not support transparency. In an Xara product, export a 32-bit PNG instead. In the Export Options dialog, make sure it says True Color + Alpha.

Mike
    True Color + Alpha looked like it did what is needed...but when exported and viewed background had grey checkerboard. Customer just responded back...that it is still locked. Logo was created in Designer Pro 7. Is there a way to export it with no background?

I have absolutely zero idea of what "locked" means.

Does your PNG export box look like the version on the left in the export dialog:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001027.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	100350

What is your customer using to view the image you are giving him?

Glad I am not the only one. Yes on the export box, True Color + Alpha made the difference. Just heard back and they got it to work! So THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

A JPEG with a locked background? I'm with you Mike.

I think this is a layers thing and the person complaining is not getting the image with layers (which of course is not going to happen with a JPEG as Mike points out).

Bradley J, if you export a PNG with True Color + Alpha , and select only the logo when you export, the result is a transparent background (the Alpha stands for Alpha channel).

It does not need to be unlocked from the background because the background is transparent.

If you are seeing a checkerboard background when you export, it is indicating the background is transparent.

In the attached, the preview on the left is True Color. You can see the page background color. The preview image on the right is True Color + Alpha. The dark gray shows there is no background. The image on the right has a transparent background and can be placed over any photo or background and only the logo will appear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	100351  

Thanks....appreciate all your help.

'locked' may refer to OS attributes set to 'read-only' or such

in respect if jpeg I think this is more common on Apple platform than MS... there again it may be a digital photography thing...

Hello I would like to suggest you use clippingmagic website and remove the background from jpg.

Thanks
    Senior Graphic designer
    Last edited by Gare; 11 April 2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: inappropriate link for new member with only 2 posts

Hi Mary—

Just a piece of friendly advice from a member of TalkGraphics, which supports Xara products. If you've seen at least seven posts above showing how to remove the background from a bitmap image using Xara Designer, it's politically incorrect to promote and post a link to a product that Xara and MAGIX have no relation to.

If we were all stumped and couldn't think of a solution, and the website you provided a link for might be totally welcome advice, but a "policy" we sort of follow once in a while, occasionally (!) here is: If it can be done with Xara, you show how to do it using Xara.

Otherwise, a post like yours would be considered advertising, and this is a graphics forum, not Craig's List. :)

My Best,

Gary