Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Mobile phone display

Am a newbie to Xara and not a techie but I designed a website using Xara which displays fine on a desktop but on my iPhone and a friends Samsung whilst the site is displayed the left hand side of the pages are 'cut off'...so you cannot click on nav bar to 'go home' or use any links that are in that section which is cut off.

Can anyone help me please, in very simple terms....thanks!!

I am about to add a Book store and so need to ensure that everyone can access it. The website is http://minack.info

Default Re: Mobile phone display

Not sure why this is happening.

I would consider doing a mobile version of your site however. Design your site to fit in a mobile phone format, make your buttons larger, and reduce all but the necessary content. You can add a script to your home page that will automatically redirect mobile phone users to your mobile site.

If you go to my website www.gwpriester.com with a mobile device you can see how your browser redirects to the mobile site which is simplified, has large text and large buttons.

thanks Gary..... oh! heck! oh! well! it will be difficult deciding what to use and what to leave as the website is the experience of the user rather than it being a shop front for anything...but will have a go.

One other thing if I may is that my nav bar doesnt always show the drop down menus ...it seems to work on one page ..Minack Memories...but not on the other pages..or when it does it wont show it again....what have I done wrong and what do I need to do to correct it please...

I agree with Gary, once your main website is finished, it is easy to just create a smaller site that fills a smartphone screen by copying and pasting from the main site. Just keep the info more relevant to speed up loading time on a phone that is not connected via wifi. Because Xara makes it all so easy, you can also create an easy way for smartphone users view the main site if they prefer, but avoiding the infinite loop that the re-direct would create. Just duplicate your home or index page and name it anything but 'index' then anyone landing there from a redirect will stay on that page. Here are my own examples of main-site / mobile site options: http://www.britresource.com/ this one redirects to mobile with no user choice but allows viewing of main site if chosen in main screen.
    This one is simply a redirect from a main site to mobile version> http://mojitosmexicangrill.com/ all done with Xara.

Some good advice, but the second duplicated site I would question, if you duplicate content then you are not going to be doing your site any favours as far as the SEO is concerned. Search engines look unfavourably on duplicate content, so you would have to modify your robots.txt file so make sure that the duplicated content is not indexed or crawled.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Andymack,
    Great job on the mobile versions. They fit perfectly on my iphone. What is the redirect script that you use? Also, what "width" (pixels) do you use when creating mobile version in Xara?

Andymack - Both sites are great. I would suggest on your page titles that you add the restaurant name to the title. e.g. Mojitos Mexican Grill - Home, Mojitos Mexican Grill - About Us, etc.

And I am not sure why but the mobile version (loads perfectly in my Samsung Galaxy S4) all pages just appear as Home.

Did you use a script to make the mobile page fit into the mobile browser without having to resize?

Sketch - good point! Gary, is your detect script public domain?

Pretty sure it is.

Have done the mobile site and with the help of jamesd whose template has made life bearable again! Thank you jamesd! We managed to do it in just about an evening and have got several people who use the site to check how its viewed and they too are happy....so I am happy!

My husband set up a redirect for mobiles through .htaccess file and it seems to working fine.

Thank you !!