Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Export geometry in 3DS or STL format for 3D printers

Hello All,

Using Acorn software with my VirtualAcorn emulator I can produce mathematically determined geometry as Acorn Drawfiles. It is my delight that I can import these into Designer Pro and add other geometry. I can even use the 3D menu item to produce 3D images of my ideas. One of my objectives is to manufacture accurate (involute profile) spur and helical gears on my 3D printer and, at present, I use SketchUp to generate the necessary STL files. However, I can only import bitmaps of my XARA designs into SketchUp and all accuracy is lost. As we can rotate extruded 3D objects in Designer, I guess the necessary 3D data is already available. Vector objects will only require a nominal extrusion thickness to convert a 2D vector shape into the necessay geometry.

Would Xara consider adding either (or both) of the 3DS and STL file types to the Export list?

There are a lot of 3D printers (and 3D product designers) coming onto the market and some innovative company is going to think about producing better STL generating software. This is an opportunity for Xara......!

Sueno

Default Re: Export geometry in 3DS or STL format for 3D printers

Hello again,

Update.................
    I have just noticed this link on the BBC news web site.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25760146

Adobe have just announced this development using............ Photoshop.

Should I change my allegiance?

Sueno