Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Remote file not found (index.xhl)

I posted this in the Dear Xara section, but got no reply, so will try here...

Having updated several websites recently with Xara Web Designer MX Premium 8.1.4.30831, several times I've gotten the error "Remote file not found". One one site I was able to determine that it was trying to delete a file named "index.xhl". Looking at the files on the server, that file was not there, but there is a file named "index.html.xhl". A site that I just uploaded via Xara WD MXP's ftp feature, included a new copy of "index.html.xhl" with the updated files, but failed when it attempted to delete "index.xhl". Any idea what might be going on? This only started recently.

Thanks.

Default Re: Remote file not found (index.xhl)

I'm not sure if Xara has released a patch for this.

Is your index page index.htm or index.html

my index page is index.html

OK. The second to the last patch fixed one thing and broke another. And this error message is the result.

The site gets published OK but after the publish when Xara is deleting files that have been replaced, it produces this error.

Go to Help, Check for Updates and see if there is an update for your product.

If not, there should be one shortly to fix this problem.

I already checked and my Web Designer is up to date. Will wait for the patch - thanks bunches!

My pleasure. I always hate it when I think it is something wrong with my computer (or me!)

Any ETA for this nest update with the fix?

First of all is the site getting published OK even though you are getting the error messages?

If so, you probably do not need to worry about it.

You can also, use a third party FTP application such as Filezilla to upload your site. Publish first to a folder on your desktop then move the contents of the folder using FTP to replace the current files.

Actually, no. Out of about a dozen websites that I've updated over the past few weeks, at least 3 times I've made a change, exported, and uploaded using the built-in ftp option, but when I look at the online version, I get pages that only say (paraphrasing) "This page has not been exported yet". I haven't been able to reproduce the problem consistently enough to report it, but it started happening very close to the other (originally reported) error about the remote file not found. So I *have* been using a third party ftp program, but wind up having to upload the entire website each time to make sure nothing is missed. Since I can't figure out what's going on, I'm hoping that when the first problem is fixed, the second one will go away as well.

I don't think WD6 - which you have listed in your profile - received any of the patches. The problems were caused by Microsoft, in particular IE11, that messed people about generally, not just Xara. Even if you never actually used IE11, Xara did for FTP purposes and the patches for v7 onwards changed this. You could try rolling back to IE10
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64