Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Support high-DPI monitors

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    This all requires significant programming effort.
    I hated the black UI at first.. but I hate working with one hand tied behind my back even more....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Two years and FOUR program versions later (v.11 -> v.15), and still no HiDPI support, not even in Designer Pro X. Talk about a "professional" program

versions 13 and 14 do not exist - magix jumped directly from 12 to 15 - so that's actually two versions

can't argue with the two years plus though ...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Again 1 year later, and still no HiDPI support.

How ridiculous, embarrassing and cringeworthy.

Meanwhile, and after all these years, we are at a point where Xara, as a supposedly professional graphics suite, can no longer be taken seriously.

It'll descend into an area of occasional use by kids, hobbyists and retirees this way.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post

What is needed is for the user interface to remain large enough to use (and touch screens usually need bigger UI than desktops, even) while the view onto the drawings is rendered at the best hardware resolution. Furthermore, built-in assumptions about screen resolution being 96dpi on Windows devices have to be changed to respond to the physical device resolution. This all requires significant programming effort.

Phil
    5 years and 9 months ago....

the resources have not been there for this, that much is obvious, though it would be a nice surprise if it suddenly happened

there is a list as long as your arm of things xara can't do each of which might preclude 'pro' status depending on your point of view...

Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    xara can't do each of which might preclude 'pro' status depending on your point of view...
    ...procrastinating?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

This was first posted January 2014, almost 6 years ago. Sadly, I guess this answers the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    ...procrastinating?

Acorn

you would preclude procrastinating ?

but - about the time this thread started and, coincidently or not, a few months before the arrival of affinity designer [now 5 years old], someone from xara said on TG that there were not [and never had been] in the business of competing with adobe

they have changed direction/focus
    Nothing lasts forever...

looked for the reference I mentioned above but I can't find it

thing is, xara started out as an on-the-fly design tool, very fast and capable of some amazing results in the right hands...and it still is that, but that in itself was never enough to ensure solid commercial success - hence the tie-up with corel, and then magix

xara has reinvented itself as xara.gmbh, a venture capital company focused on cloud based services

resources for the desktop were, and remain, limited - and updates are likely to follow, in general terms, what is required to support said cloud services and remain that way for the forseeable future [cf: the 'squish issue'] - and there is only so much that can be done with a UI with it's roots in the last millennium, without a complete recode as was done by affinity.. which brings us back to what PhilM said in 2014; from xara's point of view that is not the focus at this point in time

that the way I see it, anyhow
    Nothing lasts forever...

I can't believe that it seems to be necessary to tutor the manufacturer on this on an internet forum, because they obviously don't know how to fix this -- meanwhile ridiculous -- issue.

Windows 10 in the meantime is able to display the entire Xara Designer UI natively in high resolution (for example at 200 % dpi) -- only the viewport in which the drawing itself appears remains in low resolution with the respective Windows advanced scaling settings.

Maybe they can at least fix this part of the issue which certainly shouldn't require recoding the entire user interface.

Otherwise, everyone with reasonably professional requirements will soon end up switching to Affinity Designer (or some other viable alternative).

Xara-Magix, mind my words