Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Support high-DPI monitors

Recent Windows versions have improved support for high resolution monitors with more than 96 dpi. Currently, the Xara products all look blurry on such monitors (including DPX9). There are some Windows API functions and messages (see SetProcessDPIAware/SetProcessDpiAwareness) that can be used to use all the available screen resolution.

Since more and more monitors today (especially laptop monitors) have very small pixel sizes, it is an important feature to support, especially for any kind of graphics software. Would be very nice to see that for DP10 (it's what currently keeps me from upgrading, because the experience is really quite bad).

Default Re: Support high-DPI monitors

You could the same request into Adobe forums as well and I hope you have. You probably know that you can change the res. of what you bring into Xara products as a bitmap by changing it under the File Menu.
    File --- Page Options --- View --- Bitmaps ---- "choose what you want here".

I always use "Import at dpi specified by image file" but this sometimes leads to a very large artboard and low viewing zoom levels.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I read the OP as the clarify of the Xara products to be the applications' presentations themselves, not their outputs.

Acorn

That's me putting me foot in it again! What a silly man. Sorry I really misread that because when I change up to a better dpi monitor late last year I used the recommended res. for my screen and it made everything smaller not blurry. Did a reg hack and got P/Shop and Illy to display better but my Xara programmes are stored on a different computer so I don't know if this hack will work with Xara. http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/201...on-surface-pro

I got this hot fix/reg hack from the adobe Illustrator forum but now I can't find it so that's why it came from Surface Pro Artist. Now if you use this hack please don't blame me if it doesn't work all I can say it worked with Illy and PS on a Dell monitor. At the same time I was doing the search to improve the UI in the Adobe products I read an article which stated to always use the recommended res. of your screen at all times and never change it which made a farce of some online games that I used to play on that computer. Sorry again for the mis-information.
    Last edited by Albacore; 10 January 2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Sorry, but this hack is not applicable to Xara Designer products.

The Adobe products are marked as "dpi aware" by default and so they use the physical screen pixel size, which makes the entire UI very small when pixels are small on high-dpi devices. (I.e. the Adobe products are not currently properly dpi aware, even though they declare themselves to be so.) The hack makes Illustrator and Photoshop declares themselves as "not dpi aware" so that they use the virtual pixel size provided by Windows for back compatibility with normal res screens.

Currently, Xara Designer products declare themselves as "not dpi aware" by default and so have exactly the opposite problem to the Adobe products. They don't use high-res pixels when they are available.

The OP was asking for Xara Designer to be made dpi aware but it's not simple. Just changing the default setting is not good enough, as shown by the Adobe products, because the user interface then becomes tiny. What is needed is for the user interface to remain large enough to use (and touch screens usually need bigger UI than desktops, even) while the view onto the drawings is rendered at the best hardware resolution. Furthermore, built-in assumptions about screen resolution being 96dpi on Windows devices have to be changed to respond to the physical device resolution. This all requires significant programming effort.

Phil

Thanks, Phil.

BTW, there is a setting to forcefully disable the scaling on high-DPI monitors in the "Compatibility" pane of the Designer executable's properties, but then of course happens what Phil describes and the UI elements get smaller (and barely usable for scale factors of 150% or larger).

Same here. Moved to a 4K screen with Windows 10 with scaling at 200% (it is a 24" 4K monitor).

XPGD is UNUSABLE, see screenshot (scaled down 50% in order to somewhat fit in the forum). Everything, particularly toolbar buttons, is 1/4th the size it should be.

http://i.imgur.com/lAcZTOQ.png

Windows scaling is also of course no solution because this reduces the visible drawing quality to 1/4th of what the monitor can display.

Another (not) funny side effect is described over there.

Xara REALLY needs to act here.

Unfortunately, the toolbars of Xara's non-skinned GUI are even more broken (e.g. even tinier) than with the dark skin, on HiDPI screens, see below screenshots:

Skinned GUI:
    http://i.imgur.com/UaQOtCC.png

Native GUI:
    http://i.imgur.com/5bPj4v9.png

Note especially how the numbers in those microscopic input boxes are totally unreadable.

And this is what XPGD has started to look like recently, on a Windows 10 laptop with FullHD screen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fYL1H9B.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	113463
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AqcQQ5O.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	113462

Note how most of the icons are missing, and/or garbled.

You guys really need to redo that Xara GUI thoroughly!

And no, I'm not prepared to use that ugly and presumptuous black GUI that you have been forcing on everyone.