Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Self-Illustrating an Exercise Book

Fellow Xara users,
    I am contracted to write a book about the biology of exercise with a famous athlete coauthor. In addition to sport photography I will be self-illustrating the book using Xara PGD9 and Autodesk Sketchbook Pro. I would like constructive criticism of these images before we go to print. Anything you think that needs correcting, different colors, composition, or detail.

Xara PGD9 drawings:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FamilyTree.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	102451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MitoBig.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	102452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OvumSperm1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	102453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATPSynthase2.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	102454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Einstein6.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	102455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BackBoneMuscle.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	102460

Sketchbook Pro drawings: these are drawings, not photographs:

Name:	PrimeRib81.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	102456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AppleTwo97.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	102457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlueEye7.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	102458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StrawberryAvocado6.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	102459

Default Re: Self-Illustrating an Exercise Book

Looks good to me. Sperm are much smaller but for sake of illustration that works.

Great images, particularly like the Einstein drawing. Only comment I would make is that the two plated food images appear over blurred to me.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Looks good to me too WildRice. The "two plated food images" blurring is so subtle that I barely noticed.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Looks good to me. Sperm are much smaller but for sake of illustration that works.
    The reason for this image is to show that the ovum is roughly 1,000 times the size of a sperm. Mitochondria inhabit the cytoplasm and not the nucleus of cells. That is why we get our mitochondria from our mothers. I used the electron microscope image below as a basis but just eye-balled the proportions and did not measure. Just need to ballpark the relative sizes. The sperm are a tad big to make them visible, but I could easily make the ovum bigger, like the surface of a planet.

Name:	SciFitFigure3-3b.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	102476

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Great images, particularly like the Einstein drawing. Only comment I would make is that the two plated food images appear over blurred to me.
    I did try to make the plated food images sharper, but then they started to look more like photos instead of hand drawn art. In the book they will be big files shrunken down to half page size, so maybe the blurring won't be too bad.

A human ovum is 120-150 microns and a human sperm head is 5 x 3 microns, and volume = 4/3 Pi r3, so the cytoplasmic ratio is about 60,000 to 1 and my first attempt was off. I redrew the proportions making the ovum larger.

Name:	SciFitFigure3-4.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	102496

The book is about exercise so I am going to replace the close up portrait of Albert Einstein with this Sketchbook Pro digital drawing of him riding a bicycle with his famous quote.

Name:	EinsteinRiding.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	102703

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.”

– Albert Einstein.

Good news! I just finished writing the last chapter of my book and now my self-illustrated fitness book "The Science of Fitness" with Greg LeMond is listed on Amazon as a pre-order item. My coauthor is arguably the best American athlete of all time and my publisher (Elsevier) is the biggest science book publisher in the world with distribution to 180 countries, so this is not a small, self-published work. It could be a big international seller. It is due for release in a few months so although there are no customer reviews yet you can read some of our glowing peer reviews and get an idea of the content. Tell me what you think.
    http://www.amazon.com/Science-Fitnes...words=mark+hom

Name:	TheScienceofFitness5.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	102885

Reviews:
    This book project passed academic peer review (with flying colors) from two major academic publishers: first the Johns Hopkins University Press (the oldest university press in America), and then Elsevier (the largest scientific book publisher in the world). Elsevier also accepted for publication the follow up version: "Mitochondrial Fitness: The Science of Athletic Energy" a larger hardcover scientific reference book intended for biologists, physiologists, clinicians, and researchers. Here are some of the peer review comments:

"This title by LeMond (and) Hom....will be the best fitness book published in the year it is released....This is not a fad book, but one that will be meaningful and timeless and should help a lot of people....the book strikes a balance that covers all the topics one needs and provides a plan that, if followed, will really help a person maximize their potential..."
    - Summary of acceptance for publication by the Johns Hopkins University Press

"Mitochondrial biogenesis and adaptation with regular exercise are now recognized to have implications for a broader range of health issues, rather than only the enhancement of exercise performance. The authors' contention that exercise has broad effects on the overall human physiology is fully supported scientifically. In essence, this is a timely book for a society that in general...lacks motivation to exercise and stay healthy while intensely distracted by gadgets and flooded with easy-to-eat and drink junk food...There are no borders for this book."
    - Anonymous peer reviewer

"I would recommend buying the scientific reference version of the book to our library at JHU (Johns Hopkins University). I would also do the same myself and with my colleagues (cardiologists) at JHU, encouraging them to recommend the book (shorter version) to patients in their clinical practice. I will also recommend the book to friends and acquaintances, and stimulate them to consider the importance of keeping their mitochondria strong and healthy..."

"This is the right time for human societies immersed in an epidemic of sedentary life style, obesity and diabetes. Professionals, scientists and the big public need to be aware that they have "simple" and relatively cheap life decisions related with nutrition, diet and physical activity at hand. When made at the right time and applied consistently, these decisions have the potential to make a positive impact on health and life quality while benefiting the society at large."