Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BUG: Photo & Graphic Designer Pro 9

I've encountered this bug: when editing a photo with multiple effects, masks and edits the image disappears at some point. Reduce the resolution, and the frame is clearly visible, but the image isn't rendering. Undo the last operation and it comes back.

Default Re: BUG: Photo & Graphic Designer Pro 9

It might just be a memory and/or processor issue where the program has to make too many calculations for it to be able to instantly redraw the picture on your screen. Try locking some of the earlier effects because these are re-rendered every time another effect or edit is applied. You could also right-click the picture and select "Create bitmap copy..." before adding new masks, effects or edits.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    It might just be a memory and/or processor issue where the program has to make too many calculations for it to be able to instantly redraw the picture on your screen. Try locking some of the earlier effects because these are re-rendered every time another effect or edit is applied. You could also right-click the picture and select "Create bitmap copy..." before adding new masks, effects or edits.
    Possibly, though I am processing a 4Mb file with 4Gb of memory!. I did the create bitmap copy as a work around, TX.

Hi regor205,

Can you post an example file, please? It should be just at the point where the next operation will cause the problem and you should describe exactly what the next operation should be.

If you'd prefer to keep the file confidential please open a ticket at support.xara.com and attach the file to that.

Thanks, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Hi regor205,

Can you post an example file, please? It should be just at the point where the next operation will cause the problem and you should describe exactly what the next operation should be.

If you'd prefer to keep the file confidential please open a ticket at support.xara.com and attach the file to that.

Thanks, Phil
    Thanks Phil. I'll do that after I reproduce the issue once again today. Dumb question, how do I post a .xar file? Insert image supports only JPEG, JPG, PNG and GIF, otherwise I'll open a ticket.

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Go into "Advanced" message writing mode, click "Manage attachments" and use that to upload your xar file and attached it to the message.

Phil

OS.txtTest4.xar

Here's an example file, and system info. First, my original file had a Perspective correction applied, which increased the size of the original bitmap from 2.5Mb to 38Mb ! That was too big to upload. I then exported that image to a JPEG 100%, which reduced it to 11Mb, still too big, so I've ignored the perspective correction altogether for this example using the original JPEG @ 2.5Mb, and I can still reproduce the issue even though now the total size of the Xara file is down to 2.6Mb from the original 11.6Mb. If I try to apply sharpening (next step), the image disappears. The sequence of effects is 1. Healing/Magic Erase in a few locations, 2. applied the Polarized Grey Scale effect, 3. apply (tried) photo sharpening (not the Sharpen Filter)... poof the image disappears. This issue always seems associated with the Effects. I am now curious to see if this issue is limited to my system alone or not. Plse let me know.

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger,

When you say, "apply photo sharpening", do you mean that you use the Enhance effect and drag the blur/sharpen slider to the right? That's the only other sharpenning effect that I have on my machine and it works correctly when applied to your test file.

If you have some other sharpening effect provided by a third-party plugin then the problem may be specific to that plugin.

Phil

Yes, that is what I am referring to, the Xara Enhance photo effect sharpen/blur slider. I have no 3rd party plugin. Looks like this may be a local system issue then (my PC is about 4+ years old). If you can add other Fx on top of that without problems, then the issue is most certainly my system, possibly the onboard video.

Your onboard video is unlikely to be the problem because Designer doesn't make much use the video hardware - it's all software.

OK, I'll do a bit more investigation.

Can you confirm that you are running Win7 32bit - I think that's what your OS.txt file says but only by ommission of the "64bit" suffix so I want to be sure. (I'm testing on Win7-64.)

Thanks, Phil