Default December 2013 Xara Xone Tute: Make Pie Slices to Any Size in Xara

Make Pie Slices to Any Size in Xara

by Gary Bouton

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front-page-graphic.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	99867

You are asked to design a pie chart, and your jaw drops to the floor. Pick it up now and watch this month’s video tutorial where Gary Bouton shows you how to make a pie wedge to exactly any number of degrees. It’s more simple than you’d think and Gary even offers you the math to convert degrees of a circle to percentages, 90 degrees equals 25 percent, you know? It’s fast and fun, and the pie slices are non-caloric. Learning is a piece of cake with this pie tutorial!

So watch the video, grab the resource files and slice up some data and show us your best pies in this thread.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default Re: December 2013 Xara Xone Tute: Make Pie Slices to Any Size in Xara

...and if you're not into pies, it only takes marginally more effort and skill to create a duck chart:

Name:	duck chart.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	99884

Happy Holidays!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    ...and if you're not into pies, it only takes marginally more effort and skill to create a duck chart:

Name:	duck chart.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	99884

Happy Holidays!

Gary
    I like that.
    Wish I'd thought of it!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Been quit busy lately, but, just watched the tutorial video.

It's EXCELLENT. Thank you.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Hello, and thank you for this tutorial.

I permit to ask a question about it : how is it possible to solve the problem of each slice rotating around its own center, when having a multi-parts object to be extruded in Xara ? (An without having to group these parts of course, to keep a control of the edges).

Thank you very much
    Stéphane
    Graphisme, illustrations & Webdesign - France
    creavisa

Quote Originally Posted by stephane_fr View Post
    Hello, and thank you for this tutorial.

I permit to ask a question about it : how is it possible to solve the problem of each slice rotating around its own center, when having a multi-parts object to be extruded in Xara ? (An without having to group these parts of course, to keep a control of the edges).

Thank you very much
    That's a good question Stephane. Maybe there's a way we can control the rotations better?

Hi Stephane...

As far as I know, there is no option for controlling the center of the slice, about which it rotates. My tutorial demonstrates that if you begin with the pie slices lined up around each other, when you apply the Extrude attributes to a new slice, the result is an extruded piece whose rotation coordinates are similar to the original from which you copied the attributes.

The point is sort of moot now that Xara Designer has a Smart Shape called a Pie Segment that can be adjusted to any degree, you just extrude it and then repeat the process.

Welcome to TalkGraphics, EdBurn. Erm, when you ask whether there's a way "we" can control...you're listed as using Xara 3D Maker but not a mention of Xara Designer. Are you using the Victorian "we" out of habit, or are you planning to try out Xara Designer and my tutorial?

Best Regards,

Gary