Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: flag help!

Default Re: flag help!

I would agree. Lets see how you get on dw88!

There are cleverer people than me here that I'm sure will help you.
    IP

You asked for help in a drawing of a flag and got accused of offending people! I don't know what our members think, about brining in politics to a forum, instead of helping. You have removed the flag before I could see it so I can't tell if it was offensive or not. It it was a red cross with a red hand of Ulster on it against a white background with or without a crown it was historically a flag of both Ulster and N. Ireland and it would not offend me at all. I wonder if it would offend anyone at all in a graphic forum when the person was asking for help.
    In Illy all that I would do would be to group all of the vector pieces (Ctrl+G). On the Object menu go down to "Envelop Distort" out to "Make with Wrap". A new sub menu will open so click on Preview and then on the Style drop down menu select Flag. This will give you the wave I hope you want so click on OK.

There are other ways to do this using a gradient mesh which is harder to do. Please come back if you need any more help and I am sorry about the ignorance of I thought a good member here!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n_i_flag.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	99706  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

You have removed the flag before I could see it so I can't tell if it was offensive or not.

Don't let it stop you having a go at me in public and private even though you didn't see it, nor was it just a flag.

Thanks Albacore.
    IP

dw88, I'm sorry about the controversy - it's not your fault at all.

If you have a copy of the image I took issue with, could you email it, or a link to me at redhand@ipauland.com?

I'd like at least to show it to Albacore so that he at least has an opportunity to see the image.

Thanks,

Paul
    IP

WOW! I didn't expect this nor did I want it..

I have deleted the image from my computer Paul therefore I am unable to email it to you however to clarify to anyone who is interested it appeared to be a red hand with a star - Union flag & Northern Ireland flag (like Albacore posted) - A Holy Bible & the names of the battles of the first world war which the Irish people (regardless of religion/creed or colour) fought in together.. It never named or had emblems of ANY outlawed paramilitary - if it had of I would not of posted it to offend myself & others. I personally didn't find the image offensive but as I have previously said I removed it so that people wouldn't be offended.

Now hopefully that can put that to bed & I can get on with the actual question.

I've had a go at what your instructions Albacore, but unfortunatly I was looking something a little more complicated lol..

I've got the basic layout drawn - with a 'flat flag' that I want to try to put into the areas marked. I want to it look like its been folded in the 2 areas as you can see, keeping the outlines - I'm not even sure it makes sense the way I'm explaining it. lol

I've tried using a similar method albacore, object > envelope distort > make with mesh tried to keep it simple with 2 columns & 2 rows - I just appear not to be getting it exactly as I want (as it covers the 2 black lines of the folds & I want to keep) - I guess the only way of ensuring I get it the way I want is to draw it all into the flag area.

Thanks for all the help & sorry again for causing a stir!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flag.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	99715
    Last edited by dw88; 09 December 2013 at 09:49 PM.
    IP

I think simpler is better. I tried applying some simple envelopes in Xara (most of us in this forum use Xara, a British vector drawing application) to create your three shapes on the left and the results looked like a dog's breakfast. I would simplify and use something like Albacore suggested.
    IP

DW88 if you come back have a look at this tut as it will give you a bit more info on what you can do. Looking at your Spur's drawing drawing which you posted you could start off using say the Arc Warp and then move to the curtain tut using the proper Gradient Mesh Tool. Have a look here: http://www.vectordiary.com/illustrat...istic-curtain/
    Come back again if you want more help.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Thanks again for your responses guys..

I started with an arc as suggested by albacore, its starting to take shape & its looking ALOT better. I'm adding some extra mesh to get more control over the flag (no shading like your tutorial yet though) - Its much better than in my previous post but I still need to play around alot more with it to get it as I want it but just wanted to let you know how I'm getting on..

Perhaps once I finally get something I'm happy with I will post the result
    IP

Hi dw88—

If these are of any help, we have two tutorials on Xara Xone covering mapping text and other design elements to cloth:

Creating text that flows along a cloth surface

Using a plug-in to make a waving flag

My Best,

Gary
    IP

I believe the member is trying to do this in Illustrator OG.
    IP