Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flag help!

Default flag help!

Hi I'm pretty new to this so please be gentle,

Is it possible to take a flat illustrated flag (ai format) and wrap it into a shape for example I found an image online that someone drew - I really like the way the flags have been 'folded' - Is it possible to draw the basic shape of the flag & then automatically (or even a simple manual method) add a flat flag design to the shape so that it would look 'folded' similar to this guys drawing??

I hope you understand what I mean as I'm not great at explaining things..

Thanks in advance for help.
    Last edited by dw88; 08 December 2013 at 11:39 PM.
    IP

Default Re: flag help!

Is this in support of the Red Hand NI paramilitaries?
    IP

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I might be a lot easier to just recreate the shapes using Illustrator's vector drawing tools. There may be some shaping envelopes you can use to modify a plain rectangle. Someone who is an Illustrator user will know better than I do about this.
    IP

Pauland, that isn't my drawing its something that I picked up in google images to show an example of what im trying to achieve.

Gwpriester, thanks for your reply.. Drawing the flags using tools is what I was hoping to stay away from (if possible) as some flag designs may be a bit more detailed (leading a noob like me to get confused how replicating the folds I aspire to get). Especially since im not artistic enough to draw freehand to trace. Shaping envelopes sounds interesting though, hope someone can point me in the right direction.. Thanks again
    IP

dw88, OK, but unfortunately that's a flag that is of a paramilitary organisation and would be offensive to many people and almost all right-thinking people, so it's quite unsettling to find it being used as an example.

I'd hope it could be changed to an alternative.

As Gary said, it would be better to just draw the shapes - there is no automatic way of folding an image that I know of, the best you can probably do is to mould individual parts into the seperate shapes of the flag.

Welcome to TG and I hope you'll understand my uneasiness regarding your chosen example.
    IP

I have remove the attachment as I didn't think that a UK flag was a paramilitary flag or offensive.. I think the question has been answered anyway
    IP

Thank you. I appreciate that.

It wasn't an official UK flag at all.
    IP

You're welcome I joined here to get some help & not to offend and if the image I found on google offended you then I'm sorry, it wasn't intended..

However the union flag is the official flag of the UK
    IP

Well, I know the imagery in reference to a paramiltary group in Northern Island, but apparently it has a long history. It is offensive to many.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...d-1950412.html

I'd say we should draw a line on this.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

@dw88: Welcome to Talkgraphics

You did simply ask for help and I believe you posted the image soley as an example of what you were trying to achieve and had no idea that it had any bad connotations. I didn't have any idea either until Pauland's posts.

I do hope you will continue to participate here, this thread is not indicative of the way new members are usually treated here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP